rugby 7s


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates
December 3rd 2006
Published: December 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

this weekend we went to Dubai for the rugby 7s tournament, it was fun.
thursday morning I got up at 5 do that I could go with Troy (Anna's boyfriend, Anna had to work so came the next day) to Dubai because his rugby team the RAK goats were playing a game at 8am, due to suckiness his team had to forfeit and played against a really good team at noon. at their next game a guy went to tackle Troy and ripped his shorts completely off his body, we all had to stop laughing long enough to find him another pair and chuck them onto the feild for him. I got to see some amazing women's teams play in a stadium that you could also see the Dubai skyline and the soon-to-be world's tallest building.

Friday was fun times indeed though, Troy's team played again (and lost) but Anna made it just in time and was wearing her Canadian flag top hat and carrying our flag because there was a Canadian 7s team at the tournament. When Canada played we were going nuts in the stands and I could see Troy talking to someone and when I looked it was Sophie Lui from A channel news, she asked Anna and I where we were from and when we said Victoria she said her and her husband (the A channel newscaster) wanted to interview us. They came back with a camera later and we said some things and they told us they would email our family and friends for us to let them know, so I had them email my dad and my Kydd so hopefully most of you were able to see it. also got our pic taken by a guy from Canadian rugby magazine which will be in January's issue so watch out for that!

Canada lost against South Africa (who went on to win the tournament) but beat Tunisia and Argentina the first day then got beaten by France and knocked out by New Zealand (who were in the finals versus South Africa) on day 2, but it was exciting to watch and nice to have a team to root for. we were told that many of them play for the Vikes and Alifa, I even saw our old bedmaking friend Reid playing!

anyways firday night we went out for all you can eat and drink and then went dancing. the next day it was hard to get up especially because it was pouring rain. by the time we got to the pitch the ground was totally muddy, it being the desert here they are just not equipped to deal with rain. most of Anna and Troy's friends peaced out pretty early but we powered through and saw some amazing rugby and I was wet for about 9 hours. everyone was wearing garbage bags and trying to find things to cower under, I found a banner and some of us used that for shelter and at one pont when it had stopped raining a woman with mud all over her face told us drunkenly that we could put our banner down since "itsh not rainin' anymoah"

when we left the traffic was so bad we'd moved about 20 km in 3 hours and we found out that the reason was that the water covering the road was too deep for cars to drive through so we had to go single file past and then were cruising the rest of the way. Dubai traffic is bad to begin with but the rain made it ridiculous.

so that's what's exciting in my world, I guess loads of you are heading into exams and such and are too busy to send me emails... does guilt work here? maybe not, anyways, best of luck on that and enjoy the snow that I hear you be having!
Alexis

Advertisement



3rd December 2006

Saw you on A Channel on Friday. Jason Pires did email us and tell us about it in advance. What a strange world! We don't see you for three months and there you are on TV from the other side of the planet. Rugby, your favourite sport all along. And you're not just there for the occasional shorts ripping incident. Sally was excited when you called this morning. We love you.

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb