Last day in Paris, the Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
January 17th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.27, 55.33

Well, our holiday is coming to an end, this morning, we have to say goodbye to Paris, but before we leave, we still have time to see a bit more of the city. We awoke early, time to start eating what ever food we had left, thank god for the Nespresso coffee machine in this room, it was the best! We finalised our bags, and we still have 2 hours before our pick up to the Airport. What else would you do for 2 hours? Well, Clint and I put on our warm stuff, and went walking, quite crisp this morning, about -2 and clear skies. We set off towards the Opera, a little bit further from where we would catch the hop on, hop off bus. It was a really nice sunrise today, lots of pretty colour in the sky, we reached the Opera national de Paris, very busy around this area, peak hour for another busy day in Paris! From here, we walked down Avenue de L'Opera, which head right down to Rue de Ravoli, these building down in this area are so grand, so many details, carvings, arches, just massive, grand old buildings.
We crossed over the street and walked through the archways of the building that we had driven through with our double decker bus, the road is called Place du Carrousel, an all cobblestone road and this road is between the Louvre and the Arch called ' Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel'. At this time of the day, there were very few people out and about, they're all the ones having a sleep in, unlike us. The sky was blue, and the sun starting to peak over the top of the Louvre, we took a few photos around here, Clint zooming in on the intricate carvings on the tops of the buildings and on the Arch. About 4 machine gun holding soldiers walk past us, keeping an eye on things, a little bit daunting but at least we are safe.
We walk through the Arch, then head on towards the big Ferris wheel, the Paris Eye! The gardens here, Jardin des Tuileries, are quite bare in winter, during Summer, I'm sure there would be lots of colour. These gardens go for a long way, but we kept walking, conscious of the time. We got to the big Ferris Wheel, crossed the road and walked up Rue Royale towards Madeleine. A few time we have been passed this building, but never went in it. It is a Roman Catholic Church, started in 1764, with 52 Corinthian columns, each 20m high right around the building but has no windows.
We reached back to our hotel in time, and went to wait in the lobby for our transport. A short wait and then we were off to the airport. The traffic along the way was interesting and we still couldn't work out road rules! The approach the the airport was different, knowing which terminal you need to be in, each terminal gate has a different road and roads go all different directions. We arrived in time, and headed for the Emirates check in desk along with 400 other people. This flight we were on the A380-800, so a lot more people than usual, just still can't work out how planes can carry so much weight up in the sky!
All checked in, we enter via duty free for last spend of our Euros, bought myself a big bottle of perfume with money that was given to me for my special birthday and then we went to find our gate. The gate just happened to be next to a McDonalds, usually we won't go into fast food burger places whilst we're on holidays as there always such a choice of other food, but where we are, there was nothing else and we didn't have time to go looking further.
Time for boarding, first time on a A380-800 plane, unfortunately we don't have upgrades to First class so we have to go on the lower level,economy! We settled into our seats and take off was smooth, first round of drinks was near, we were served a snack and then later, dinner.
Whilst on this flight, I tried catching up on writing stories for the travelpod, played candy crush and tried to sleep. We arrived into Dubai at 11.45pm, this time there was no fog. The arrival at the terminal then took us through many walkways, again through more duty free shops, and our connecting flight to Adelaide.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb