First impressions of Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
July 23rd 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Talk about East meets West. Old Dubai has virtually been consumed by the modern futuristic giant construction site that is the modern city. Towering skyscrapers of all shapes and sizes fight for attention and line the horizon like spaceships freshly landed from another planet. There's something completely alien-esque about this place. In every glittering surface, row upon row of shimmering new buildings are reflected. The horizon spells money.

This is the future my friend. This is freaky. This is consumerism gone mad. My first impression is I hate the place. Tourists roam bikini clad, or in shorts and strappy tops oblivious to local customs. I wander around sweltering in a million baggy layers and more bling on my wedding ring finger than I ever care to wear for real. Something I realise in hindsight is probably unnecessary, as my path hardly crosses that of the locals, most of the workers here are immigrants and I'm on another path: extreme commercialism tourism, where free buses wait to zip happy shoppers to crazy malls.

The towering buildings all have some proud claim:
"the tallest" building in the world, "the only 7star hotel in the world", the building which spells 'Dubai' when viewed from the air... They all look a bit freaky to me. Apart from mine of course, which has an impressive display of lights at night, changing the 2towers from purple to pink to blue depending on the mood of some bored concierge.

Concierges trip over themselves to carry my handbag around. It's ridiculous! "Let me help you Maam". I wonder if I'm the scruffiest person in the building.

But having had a previous insight into how the Middle Eastern culture can work in your favour, my email to the hotel saying "this is my first trip to Dubai please give me a nice room" has worked a treat and they've upgraded me to the poolside suite which feels like stepping into my own personal palace! My welcome note tells me that they will be happy to arrange a cocktail party in my room complete with waiting staff. Maybe I could get to like this place and this crazy level of luxury!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb