Dusty Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
January 6th 2008
Published: January 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone!

Coming to you from hot and dusty Dubai! Needless to say it is somewhat warmer here than back in the UK. We are staying bang smack in the middle of the older louder smellier part of Dubai. On our first day we found out just how massive Dubai is as we set off on foot for what seemed like a short walk on our touristy map, turned out to be about 8miles! Though we did discover Spinneys supermarket (see pic) which is amazing and not too expensive. We also watched the sunset on a nice bit of beach we found (see pics!) Sar was chuffed because not only did she see fish but a hermit crab too, and another crab and red shells and....

So we spent yesterday on the main beach swimming sunbathing etc. The beach is really nice (as is the whole place really) clean and they had showers and lifeguards and near continous police presence! Dubai ityself is really bizzare, basically the whole place is dripping with money and there is a real mix of people from all different countries. Its also made even more weird by the fact that there is not one single beggar and none of the sellers really hastle you that much bar the odd "you want to buy Rolex sir" so its a bit like a sanitised Morroco, which is good and bad all at the same time.

Today we have been to the Gold Souk (see pic) and Spice Souk. The Gold Souk is unsuprisigly full of all things gold, literraly gold bracelets necklaces you name it in huge quatities, very touristy but amusing to see, and again all smacks of MONEY! We will breeze over the spice souk, not a patch on Marrakech! We then went down to the Dubai creek area which is pretty cool. We had eat as much as you can at an Iranian restaurant in the Dubai version of the twin towers. So we are now completely stuffed ready for bed at 7 as we have to leave the hotel at 1.30am on our way to Delhi! Whether we will be able to sleep or not is a different thing, Ive allready had to resort to the ear plugs byut Sar can sleep through anything so shes fine! Our balcony is directly above the main strip complete with vegas style lights, mystery food smells and constant horn honking.

Anyway have to go now as packing to do ready for Delhi where the real adventure begins!!!!!!!!

Needless to say we are both exited and nearly as equally nervous. Will be an experience though Im sure. Will update this blog again once we have got over the culture shock enough to get out of our hotel to an internet cafe!

Miss you all loads,

Dean & Sar.

x






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb