Ibn Battuta


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
July 30th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I decided to try and take Jeremy out for a treat surprise on Friday since he had been working so hard. So I did my research and found this really cool hot air balloon at one of the malls which is tethered to the mall and only goes up and down. However it gives you great sweeping views of the Dubai metropolitain area. Well at least that it what the brouchure said.

So we went all the way out to Ibn Battuta Mall to try this thing out, walked up to the counter and the lady said that they don't fly during the day in summer as it is too hot. We were astounded. It was 10am in the morning and was only about 39 degrees outside. Hardly hot at all! We did argue and debate with her, but she wasn't moved, the balloon doesn't fly during the day in the summer months. So unfortunately no photos from the sky of dubai for this blog. However we did spend 3 hours in the mall shopping instead so today you get photos from the mall. And before you all roll your eyes and say BORING! this mall is amazing. It is huge and split into different zones with different themes. There is the Egypt Court, Persinal Court, Chinese Court, Persian Court, Indian Court etc. And each zone is decorated in the theme. Check out some of the photos.

I also managed to find another Modhesh. Although Ibn Battuta didn't have any where near the number and level of detail of Modheshs that Mall of the Emirates does.

I also managed to get some snaps of the Marina. The building that is doing on around this area is incredible. One of the snaps shows the new metro line being put in. Check out how the dangle the pre cast pieces above the road, move them into position and then 'bolt' them all the way through to create a raised platform. We drove right under these pieces and were a little dubious about the health and safety aspects!

Then on Friday night we headed out for dinner with our friends Rod and Jess to a Hare Krishna restaurant. We didn't understand anything on the menu so go the waiter to order for us and he came up with some pretty wonderful food. It was a delicious meal. And the drinks came with cocktail umbrellas - even for the boys. Rod really liked his 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb