Day 2


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
November 2nd 2010
Published: November 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nov 1 2010 pic 1Nov 1 2010 pic 1Nov 1 2010 pic 1

wondering if this is the last i'll see of the bike as we check in!
Day 2


really started over central Europe somewhere, on our Emirates flight from London to Dubai. We'd booked with Emirates as, due to the fact I am doing Challenge Wanaka in NZ in January, the travel company in NZ had arranged a deal with Emirates which gave us 60KG EACH hold luggage. As it turns out, we has 2 X 27kg bags and 1 X 23kg bag, plus hand luggage full to bursting.

Anyway, arrived in Dubai and the airport was virtually empty, it was so bizarre, but almost everyone on our flight seemed to be transferring elsewhere, so we reached the point where it was left for transfers and right for reclaim and there were just a handful of us turning right. Got to the baggage reclaim to find our two cases were already out, and, with oversized baggage just behind our conveyor, the bike arrived about 30 seconds later. We were out so quickly that Ollie was still sat in Costa having breakfast when we got out! Joined him for a quick coffee and then it was time to head out, try and cram all the bags in the back of the car, and drive from
1st nov pic 21st nov pic 21st nov pic 2

Duty free shop window
Dubai Airport to downtown Abu Dhabi. Got here in good time, and was re-aquainted with Charlie and Reyhan, and got to meet Laila for the very first time. Both the kids are truly lovely, Charlie is all mischief, and Laila is quiet beauty personified. Was so good to be back in Abu Dhabi.

Had a quick bite to eat and then it was time for a sleep as, per ususal, i'd not slept at all on the flight. Had a good old sleep, and got up around 6pm local time, had dinner, a very impressive fish pie cooked by Ollie and then we headed out for a wander down town. I managed to pick up a new iphone charge cable because, despite owning 5 of them, i somehow managed to come away without packing any of them!!!! The it was time to check out the doughnut shop, and then the ice cream shop before ending the day with a stroll along to Corniche, checking out the sights and sounds of Abu Dhabi, before heading back and catching the Champions League footy on TV. Will be able to watch any Premier League game we like this weekend!!

Just working out what to do while we are in Dubai/Abu Dhabi. We have to go and check out the viewing platform at the Burj Al Kalifa, the world's tallest building, and there are various other things to consider, is it Cappuccino with real gold flake on at 7 star Hotel in Abu Dhabi, the world's fastest roller coaster at Ferrari World, the world's most expensive Mosque, the world's largest shopping mall, the worlds largest indoor ski slope.....the choices are endless, and we've only got 9 days left, so time to start making some tough choices. Looks like Cappuccino with gold on tomorrow afternoon, and checking out the F1 show on the Corniche..

Already shaping up to be an amazing trip. Thank you Ollie and Reyhan for your hospitality..


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Nov 1 2010 pic 4Nov 1 2010 pic 4
Nov 1 2010 pic 4

Us waiting for our plane
charliecharlie
charlie

The incredibly cute and very cheeky Charles! Never ever walks, eithers runs or sits...
LeilahLeilah
Leilah

The equally gorgeous Leilah, very lovely, total opposite of Charlie, very quiet and thoughful!
helenhelen
helen

thats helen posing at the end of the tunnel!
fountainfountain
fountain

one of what i suspect will be many fountain photos in UAE
helen and olliehelen and ollie
helen and ollie

what happens when a photographer says he needs an empty tunnel to photograph! ;)


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb