Istanbul City Walls and the Cora Church


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
December 28th 2012
Published: January 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

1453 Panorama Museum1453 Panorama Museum1453 Panorama Museum

It's near the city walls, so you see outside what's depicted in the panorama inside. Pretty cool!
Today, I went exploring Istanbul by myself. I started at the 1453 Panorama Museum, which is near the old city walls and depicts the fall of Istanbul when the Ottoman Turks took it over from the Byzantine Empire. The best feature of the museum is that the panorama depicts the battle raging at the walls from the viewpoint that can be seen of the walls and city from right where the museum sits. Then I walked outside and was able to spend some time wandering along the walls themselves. It was so neat to see things that old. Then I took a taxi to the Cora Church, which is a small church from the Byzantine Era with mosaics filling every possible space. After that, I went back out and finally walked up on top of a section of the walls, which provided a great view of the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

1453 Panorama Museum1453 Panorama Museum
1453 Panorama Museum

The museum is to the left of the picture.
Cora Church from the frontCora Church from the front
Cora Church from the front

I had lunch - chicken kebabs, bulgar rice, and some sort of little salad - at the little cafe in front of the church. It was probably overpriced (not too bad, though), but the setting was nice!
Turkish coffeeTurkish coffee
Turkish coffee

It's in a little cup 'cause it's thick, and the grounds are still in the bottom. I had been warned about the grounds in the bottom beforehand, but somehow forgot and still drank it down too far!
MosaicMosaic
Mosaic

I believe it is Constantine that's depicted here bowing to Mary and Jesus.
The baptism and temptations of ChristThe baptism and temptations of Christ
The baptism and temptations of Christ

Look closely: can you see Satan depicted in three spots (one for each temptation)?
The death of MaryThe death of Mary
The death of Mary

She is surrounded by the apostles, including Paul, who is sitting at her feet, and John, in the front left corner.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb