Bill and Carol's Senior Years Abroad: Mezopotamya Turkiye'de (The Mesopotamian Turkey)


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Southeastern Anatolia
October 29th 2011
Published: November 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Nomadic boy herding goats in the DesertNomadic boy herding goats in the DesertNomadic boy herding goats in the Desert

Is that a baby goat in his saddlebag?
We have some pretty exotic tales for this post! We just returned from a trip unlike any we have taken. We knew we wanted to spend some time in the far eastern/southeastern Turkey, including Turkey's swatch of the famed "fertile crescent," where the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers flow. This largely Kurdish area borders Iran, Iraq, and Syria and is home to some of the longest inhabited settlements on earth. Bill saw an article in the online Seattle Times about an unusual homestay tour there. It sounded wonderful--and it truly was!

The intent of the tour sets it apart. Nomad Tours Turkey was founded by an English woman, Alison Tanik, who is married to a Kurdish Turk. After their marriage, they moved from Istanbul to her husband's tiny village, Uvacali, not too far from the border with Syria. Problems in the area include illiteracy, poverty, malnutrition, high numbers of marriage between first degree relatives, and domestic violence. Alison and her husband decided to develop a project that would truly improve the lives of the people in the village. After several false starts, they established Nomad Tours Turkey with the objective of employing local people in tourism--while offering visitors like us a
Alison and LuluAlison and LuluAlison and Lulu

English expat, the inspiration and drive behind Nomad Turkey Tours
chance to have a really authentic window into the lives of people in this region.

Several years into the project, Nomad Tours Turkey is fully supporting eight Kurdish families in the village of Uvacali as home-stay hosts or drivers. The family where we stayed, for example, is now sending all four of their children to school, and the eldest has entered law school. This family told us they would not have been able to afford the school fees before the Tours began providing them a lot more income. In addition, the program has fully equipped a local preschool that teaches the young Kurdish-speaking children Turkish--before they enter public schools (where reading instruction is taught only in Turkish). Alison and her husband have invested a good chunk of their profits into other community projects as well: a dental hygiene program and a program to improve nutrition by offering live fruit trees to every village family.

For us, staying with this Kurdish family was a great pleasure. Their spotlessly clean home consists of two largish rooms--one where we all ate together on the floor and one where we slept on floor pads. (While we were there, the family slept in
Kurdish Family HomestayKurdish Family HomestayKurdish Family Homestay

Kurdish mother making bread for breakfast
the barn!) In addition, the house has a small "kitchen" for food preparation--though the actual cooking happens on an outside grill or in an open stone oven above the barn. There's a regular shower inside, but the only toilet is a squat-privy in a shed in the garden. This family was remarkably warm and welcoming, and there was no doubt that it was sincere. My lingering impression of the five days of this trip was the whole extended family standing outside waving and calling their farewells when we left!

When we left the Kurdish homestay, we headed across the parched land with a wonderful Kurdish driver and one travel companion, Margaret Shore--a delightful Australian woman about our age who trains teachers of young children in Indonesia. The five days were so packed with drama and color of discovery that the three of us bonded quickly.

On one side trip, we drove into the Karacadag desert in search of a nomadic family in need of the handmade children's clothes we had to deliver from the Nomad Tour project. One dirt road led to another as we watched for large tents on the horizon. Suddenly, we saw one and stopped.
Breakfast with Kurdish FamilyBreakfast with Kurdish FamilyBreakfast with Kurdish Family

Men on one side and women on the other
A stately older man in purple flowing headgear--the patriarch, it turned out-- emerged from the tent. After a brief discussion in Kurdish with Mehmet (our driver), he invited us into the main tent, where we sat on a floor mat to share tea. Gradually, other family members appeared, perhaps seventeen in all--including women of two generations and some children the right sizes for the clothes we were delivering. One teenaged boy and a son in his 30s joined us and the patriarch on the mat while the women and children peeked shyly from behind a barrier. They were clearly as curious about us as we were about them, but they weren't brave enough to come out and meet us directly. Only the patriarch's wife-- who looked to be in her 70s but was probably much younger-- soberly greeted us and accepted the bundle of clothes. For both sides, it was a fleeting, precious glimpse at folks from a vastly different world.

For our second homestay--this one with an Arab family-- we arrived in Harran, one of the longest continuously inhabited towns in the world. (The Bible mentions it in Genesis, and the Prophet Abraham apparently lived there briefly.) In
Nomadic Family PatriarchNomadic Family PatriarchNomadic Family Patriarch

We delivered handmade children's cloths and were invited for tea to a Kurdish Nomadic family in the desert
the last few centuries, Harran has fallen on hard times but has become famous for its atmospheric "beehive" houses. Each room of these mud brick homes has its own tall, cone-shaped adobe dome with openings to provide light and air. One of the family's ten children (a bright, English-speaking high school-aged daughter) gave us a tour of the castle above the city and the ruins of the oldest Islamic University in the world, built in 800 A.D. The five daughters and their mother--all gorgeous in identical brown velvet gowns with gauzy lavender head coverings--served us a spicy but balanced dinner. We ate on a large floor mat with the boys and men of the family, presided over by a rather crusty, remote father in flowing lavender headgear.

After dinner, as we drank our traditional glasses of tea--and as the school-aged children settled down with their homework around us--we became transfixed at the television news at the far end of the room. Though it was a challenge for our less-than-stellar Turkish, we were able to understand that the recently stepped-up aggressions between the Kurdish terrorist group, the PKK, and the Turkish military along the border with Iraq was suddenly exploding
Arab Homestay in HarranArab Homestay in HarranArab Homestay in Harran

Summer sleeping platform & tripod for making yogurt. Our driver shares tea with the family's father.
into something like a full-blown war. In reprisal for the PKK's killing of 24 Turkish soldiers the day before,Turkey was sending in thousands of troops to the Iraqi-Turkey border. At that moment, we were much closer to the Syrian border than to the Iraqi border, but, nonetheless, it crossed our minds (well, mostly Carol's mind) that the timing of our visit to Turkey's Kurdish region might be... er, unfortunate. (Update: One week later the Turkish military sharply reduced its troops in the area--though after considerable loss of life on both sides.)

That night in Harran, as we three weary travelers bedded down on floor pads under the cone-shaped roofs of the atmospheric beehive house, we took comfort in the bright moonlight coming in through the openings between the mud bricks. And Carol, who had heard sounds that could have been bombs all during the previous night, listened for unwelcome blasts. But Harran was silent.

On another day, we had a jaw-dropping visit to Gobekli Tepe, thought to be the first temple in the world. Never heard of it? Neither had we--but it's a 22-acre site under excavation NOW and has the world's archeologists and anthropologists dazzled. Almost unimaginably
Gobekli TepeGobekli TepeGobekli Tepe

Animal carvings from 12,000 year old temple site (end of the ice age)
ancient, these ruins were apparently built by an unknown race of people at the end of the last Ice Age (12,000 years ago). That's at least 7,000 years older than Stonehenge or the pyramids at Giza. The people who built it were probably hunter-gatherers and had no writing, metal, or pottery. Though Gobekli Tepe is only 1/10 excavated, what they've found so far are massive rings of standing T-shaped pillars, or megaliths, many of which are exquisitely carved with images of deadly animals (snakes, foxes, scorpions, etc.) thought to be guardians of the spirit world. According to a June 2011 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC article, the findings at Gobekli Tepe are overturning earlier ideas about "our species' deep past." It's long been assumed that agriculture developed before religion, but Gobekli Tepe's temple suggests the reverse. A number of scholars believe that it has to be a key to understanding the story of the Garden of Eden. Well, there's certainly no garden there now, just a giant lump on the horizon of the ruthless, windswept desert. But it's one very compelling lump! (By the way, we recommend a best-selling novel, THE GENESIS SECRET by Tom Knox. It's about Gobekli Tepe, and it's a gripping--but gory-- read.)

Though this little journey was chock full of astonishing and varied experiences, we'll let the photos tell most of the stories, including side trips to ancient cities of Urfa, Mardin, and Diyarkabir. However, we can't conclude this post without one final tale. Even before we came to Turkey, we'd seen photos of eight or so colossal heads (each roughly two meters high) toppled from their even more gigantic bodies high on a mountain peak. Finally, on this trip, we had a chance to go to the top of Mount Nemrut to see them. The story is that a Pre-Roman king Antiochus had the statues built to represent himself, some huge animals, and various gods--whom he considered to be his family. I think the statues themselves were supposed to prove Antiochus' godlike status and thus his worthiness to ascend above his competitors to the throne. Bill was especially fascinated that above the row of headless bodlies at the top of this enigmatic display, there is a huge conical "tumulus" of small rock that rises 50 meters above the temples. It's believed that Antiochus himself is buried in the tumulous. This man-made cone that tops Mount Nemrut forms
Kurdish  HeaddressKurdish  HeaddressKurdish Headdress

Young man from the homestay showed Bill how to wear Kurdish headgear
a sharp peak that can be seen from a great distance.

Fast forward a few thousand years, and there's a certain amount of ritual involved with ascending the mountain to view these enigmatic statues. For one thing, they are to be viewed at dawn or dusk. So, we spent the night at a pension at the base of the mountain, then rose at 4:30 a.m. so that we three determined--but less-than-lithe--climbers could make it up the rather steep path to the 2150m high peak (in the dark, of course) in time for the sunrise. We did it--and were richly rewarded! We're not sure that the photos do it justice, but seeing the statues glowing red-orange against the purple night sky will go on our short list of the most memorable experiences we've had in Turkey.

But now we backtrack a half day. On our journey toward Mount Nemrut, we crossed the Euphrates River on a ferry boat. The sun was setting, and we were savoring the view when Bill's cellphone rang. It was our friend Joe in Antalya. "Are you all right?" he said. "We've been worried!" Then he went on to tell us about the calamitous 7.2 earthquake that had hit near Van, Turkey (not far from the Iranian border) a few hours earlier. The earthquake was in the same general area as we were--though perhaps 200 kilometers away--and we hadn't felt any shaking at all. What we did feel was LUCKY although we are well aware that thousands of others were not so lucky. Large numbers are badly injured and some are facing the first snow of the season with no shelter, blankets or warm clothes. And the death toll is above 600--headed, tragically, toward 1,000. It was a sad, sobering end to a spectacular trip.

As always, we're so grateful to our faithful--or occasional--followers. If you like photos, be sure to scroll through the three pages of captioned shots that will continue after the end of the narrative. (There are page numbers to help you navigate.) And may your adventures, too, be just challenging enough to be deeply satisfying.

Affectionately,

Bill and Carol











Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Kurdish Homestay PrivyKurdish Homestay Privy
Kurdish Homestay Privy

It was very basic
Homestay House in UvacaliHomestay House in Uvacali
Homestay House in Uvacali

The hardworking mother is carrying bread for breakfast--followed by Margaret, our fellow traveler
Nomad's tents in the desertNomad's tents in the desert
Nomad's tents in the desert

We were invited to stay for tea
Young Arab mother Young Arab mother
Young Arab mother

Harran homestay family had 10 children and several grandchildren
Harran Harran
Harran

Set of "beehive" rooms in Arab home and garden Adam and Eve settled here "after the fall"
Harran Village HorseHarran Village Horse
Harran Village Horse

Thinnest horse we've seen..and pregnant!
Harran HomestayHarran Homestay
Harran Homestay

Reading in bed in adobe beehive house
Harran CamelsHarran Camels
Harran Camels

Waiting for duty
Gobekli Tepe TempleGobekli Tepe Temple
Gobekli Tepe Temple

The first known large structure in the world


19th November 2011

wow!
Amazing pictures and information - thanks so much for sharing it!!! It makes me want to come back to Turkey and do that homestay thing - it's almost like a different country (the Kurdish region). I'm curious about the wedding - how is that you were invited? Happy Thanksgiving! I'll be in New York with Heather and Eric. What are you doing- I wonder if you'll cook a turkey?? Please say hi to Annie and Chloe and all the folks -- big hug, Catherine
19th November 2011

Amazing!
What an amazing adventure into SE Turkey! Thanks for sharing it with us. Carol, how I wish I could write like you do. Jessie
19th November 2011

WOW!
The photos are so wonderful! I hope I can hear you talk about things when you are back in Seattle. More importantly, I look forward to being able to consult with you when I am able to travel to Turkey myself! You both look great! Carol, I love the hair! Love to you both, Denise
20th November 2011

Wowowow!
I'm continually amazed at your ability to capture your experiences through your writing and photos. It's as if we were there with you. What an amazing place that is SE Turkey! Thanks so much for sharing. The boys loved the photo with the donkey, the boy, and the baby goat. And yes, we are so thankful that you didn't experience the earthquake firsthand.
20th November 2011

In awe
Dear Carol and Bill, Though we have never, until now, gotten around to answering you, we have so enjoyed following your blog!!! In fact, it leaves me more or less speechless . . . . So glad you are having a generally splendid time over there, making friends and being ambassadors as you are enjoying yourself, learning and contributing. Sending very best wishes and warm regards, Marjon Looking through your camera and reading through your writing I am transported to that ancient region of the origins of our culture. Everything is impressive - but most I am struck by the beauty of the faces, the nomadic matriarchs, the Arabic mother. And how different can life be from what we see here as \"normal\", with so much integrity. Well, words are too limited - but what radiates from your story is beautiful and enriching. Thank you so much. Lex
21st November 2011

thanks
Thank you so very much for sharing the richness of your experiences. It is wonderful to get these glimpses of lives most of us will never see. I applaud your continued reaching out to learn about the people of this country you have chosen to explore. And, you seem to be having a wonderful time doing so -- the best part!
21st November 2011

Amazing
What an amazing adventure within an adventure. I find myself wanting to see Mt. Nemru and Harran and view the ruins of a city built thousands of years before cities we thought were the oldest. Mind boggling. Thanks for sharing. Glad you escaped the earthquake and the border fighting. Stay safe. Cindy
22nd November 2011

Still, Wow!
I am so fortunate to still be sharing your travels with you. Thank you!
22nd November 2011

like others 'wow'
I can't let Neal see your blogs or we'll have to come stay with you. In the middle of moving to Colorado and selling the house here so our adventures need to wait a little. Fun to read and see what you are doing. love, Heidi
23rd November 2011

Thank you!
I so appreciate your taking the time and effort to organize, write, and send these fascinating posts to us homebodies. May your sojourn continue to go well!
24th November 2011

What an amazing trip - and a wonderful way to experience and learn about the region. We enjoyed the narrative and the pictures - especially Bill in the "headdress." Thanks for sharing this.
9th December 2011

Extraordinary!
When this arrived I was too busy to read it. I've just been immersed in your adventures and feel rather overwhelmed. What "age" to experience. The archeological discovery is particularly amazing. Pictures are spectacular. Thanks so much.
14th December 2011

Amazing Report...and photos
Bill: Thanks to Helen Moody, I tuned in. How brave you all are to tackle this kind of trip and not be in your 20s! . A wonderful report and fabulous photos. My compliments.
17th December 2011

WOW!
I don't even know where to begin to comment! I was really excited reading about this trip! What a wonderful way to experience the culture. The description and pictures made me feel like I was puttering about day-by-day along with you. Turkey has an incredibly rich culture and history that I hope we can experience some day. How special to see the caves that will be underwater! Thanks for the wonderful travel report. Laurie

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb