Sanilurfa


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Southeastern Anatolia
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke the next day, feeling somewhat seedy after no having showered for about 5 days. Our mission was to get cleansed at a Hammam- a Turkish bath house.

Firstly we took a merry stroll around the city of Sanilurfa. The town has seen many people of religious significance both Muslim and Christian pass through its ancient streets. It is claimed to be the birthplace of Abraham and apparently Jeasus dropped in at some stage.

Dominating the town is a massive citadel perched high on a hill overlooking the city. When we were there its grey walls that ran about 300m acrross the hill were covered with a fresh layer of snow. A novelty for me thats for sure. Below the citadel in the bustling bazaar district (opened for business around 1560) you can buy all manner of authentic Turkish handicrafts. From metalwork to the disticntive bright dress of the Kurdish women there are dozens of busy alleyways and byways in which to get lost. But if you do get lost there is always a friendly Turk on hand to guide you out.

Oh and there is also an ace Hammam.

It was in the Hammam that we found ourselves later in the night. After dressing down and being given an oversize towel to wrap around myself, we entered the main room. We foun a series of smaller alcoves set into the walls. Some were steam rooms, one had a massage table but most of the rooms housed several taps that sprung from the wall and poured steaming hot water into a concrete basin. I sat down next to one and soap in hand proceeded to wash the last weeks worth of dirt and muck off myself. There were a few Turkish guys in the same room and we bonded over self cleaning and happily took their offerings of pickled chillies.

Once finished with the washing we were given a bunch of towels and cup of Turkish tea to finish the whole process off. All for the sum of AU$3.50!






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rosey red cheeks and allRosey red cheeks and all
Rosey red cheeks and all

Yes ladies im single
Sacred carpSacred carp
Sacred carp

If only I had a purse sein....


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb