Walk and beach - Liman Agzi


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Kas
September 23rd 2011
Published: October 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Kas - walking and beach time at Liman Agzi. 

Funny things happen when you're travelling. We went up for breakfast and a woman came up to me and said "Are you Kim?". It was Kim White, a colleague from NSW Health, who just happened to be also travelling, having spent a couple of weeks on Jordan and now a couple of weeks in Turkey, and just happened to end up in the same hotel in the same town on the same night. We bad a bit of a chat then she headed off on her sea kayaking trip, which we are thinking of doing tomorrow. After brekky we asked Ahmet for advice about what to do that was not too strenuous and he suggested we might like to do a small walk to an isolated beach. He armed us with a map and Jeff also borrowed some snorkeling gear and away we went, down through the town, past the harbour and the expensive waterside hotels and on out the other side. Within Kas it's rocks down to the water so they have ladders and bathing platforms. About half a kilometre out of town we passed a beach, fairly small, pebbly and filled with sunbeds and umbrellas. Jeff suggested we stop there but our map drew us onwards.

We continued on down the road a little further, turned off towards some houses then off again and past a farm and into some rugged, rocky terrain. This walk is a small section of the Lycian Way. At one point there was a fork in the trail and we chose the route that didn't involve scrambling down a cliff face. There were just a few other people walking the trail, including an English couple who had come to walk a lot of the Lycisn Way but had given it away due to the heat. They were used to looking for and interpreting the trail markings and set a cracking pace. We walked with them pretty much to the end, which brought us down into a gorgeous little bay that is only accessible on foot or by boat.

There were sunbeds and shade shelters around the beach, one little restaurant and a few people there when we arrived about 12:30 after a 2 1/2 hour walk. We quickly got the cozzies on, picked a couple of nice shady sunbeds on a wooden platform, and got into the water. Once again delightfully warm and clear. I floated around for awhile, but Jeff decided to try a little snorkelling, and just over in a far corner of the swimming area he had a close-up with a caretta caretta (big turtle). He was of course chuffed!

We had a lovely lunch in the restaurant - Jeff had fish and I had grilled calamari, which was a couple of whole tubes. It was delicious! We spent the whole afternoon swimming and/or lying in the shade and about 5:30 hopped on a little boat back across the bay to Kaş (TL 10 each).

Got back to the hotel, got showered and changed and went upstairs to have a go at the computer.

We bumped into Kım White again, who said she had a lovely day. We had a couple of beers and chatted with her and a couple from Melbourne, Rob and Shirley, who were planning a day trip to Meis because Shirley's dad had been born there. We all had dinner there, this time Jeff and I also had the BBQ.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb