Ruins, ruins and more ruins


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antalya
July 31st 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We've seen so many ruins over the past few weeks it's been amazing and kinda of mind boggling. The mediterranian is such a beautiful place. The turquoise waters mixed with beautiful hotels, boat trips and ancient sunken and lost cities have been incredible. We're just about to head home now but we've downloaded some pictures of a little of what we saw. Our trip started on the eastern coast of Anatalya. We travelled along the south coast through Kas, Olympus, Fethiye and up the Agean coast to Ephesus, Kusadasi, Izmir, Troy and Gallipoli. We then headed to Greece took a side trip to the island of Thassos and headed back to Bulgaria where we stayed in an Orthodox monistary for a night that was built in 492AD..really neat!

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and interest in our travels, hopefully we'll get a chance to add some more photos in the coming weeks.

We'll see you all soon.

Les and Peter





Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Kaymakli - Underground cityKaymakli - Underground city
Kaymakli - Underground city

I was not comfortable here at all! Although is was amazing that thousands of people carved out an entire city here it was waaay to confined for my liking... right dad?
Santa Clauses jaw bone??Santa Clauses jaw bone??
Santa Clauses jaw bone??

This display was in the the Anatalya museum. We were quite surprised to find out that Santa Claus is from Turkey! Well, Saint Nicolas was born there anyways and these are his skull fragments...really.
Anatalya - Hadrians GateAnatalya - Hadrians Gate
Anatalya - Hadrians Gate

Created by the Roman Emporer Hadrian, this was once the gate to the city.
This was impressiveThis was impressive
This was impressive

The front entrance to what must have been a very impressive temple.
Olympus - Chimera - the eternal flame Olympus - Chimera - the eternal flame
Olympus - Chimera - the eternal flame

This hill is the most spectacular in the night. There are natural gas vents all over the hill and they were lit thousands of years ago. There was once a temple around the flames.
Olympus - ruins near the oceanOlympus - ruins near the ocean
Olympus - ruins near the ocean

Olympus was once a major city of the Lycian federation and dates back to the Hellenistic period...there were ruins everywhere.


18th August 2008

Alexander the Great and Leslie the Fabulous!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb