GALLIPOLI AND TROY


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
August 15th 2011
Published: August 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

ANZAC CoveANZAC CoveANZAC Cove

At Gallıpolı
Well after a nice couple of days semi recovering from our terrible stomach bugs in Istanbul it was time to leave for our two week adventure around Western Turkey, first stop Gallipoli!

This was always one of the anticipated highlights for the two of us on our travels. The day started well with our tour bus. Obviously our first touring experience was somewhat uncomfortable in a packed minibus with no air con, however this time we were in a very spacious 30 seater with only 10 people (and 6 of them were only day tripping with us). This made the 5 hour drive to the Gallipoli Peninsular very enjoyable and after stopping for a quick lunch it was off to see the battle fields and memorials.

We started in Anzac Cove right on the water where the ANZAC Day services take place. It was a wonderful first impression as we were both amazed at how well the Turkish Government cares and looks after the memorial sites. Personally I was very impressed with the enscryptions of one of Ataturks famous speeches in relation to the fallen ANZACS. He basically stated how all those NZ and Australians who fell at Gallipoli are now considered the sons of the Turkish Nation. Next stop was Lone Pine and another moving walk around the grave sites, again we were astonished at how prestine the memorial was kept. We moved from Lone Pine to the trenches, which are still very visible through the forrest. I cannot begin to imagine how the soldiers managed it during the campaign. Our guide regailed us of stories of how the two opposing forces would trade food and other items during ceasefire, although we were in a very somber environment it kind of put a smile on your face.

Our final stop was Chunuk Bair and the NZ Memorial and grave sight. It was kind of nice to see the NZ memorial taking pride of place right next to the statue and memorial to Ataturk himself. It was at this point while remembering the horrible losses caused to both sides that we realised how much Turkey adored and worshipped Ataturk. I kept thinking it would be nice to be here one day for the actual service as it was kind of upsetting seeing the stalls selling trinkets and icecreams right next to war memorials.

Once we left Gallipoli
Ataturks speechAtaturks speechAtaturks speech

What Ataturk saıd top the mothers of theKkıwı and Aussıe men that dıed at Gallipolı
it was only a short drive and ferry for the four of us remaining on the tour (we met a real nice Australian couple called Chris and Michael). On the way we stopped in Canukkale to see the Trojan Horse from the Hollywood movie that was donated to the area once the movie was finished. Although very tacky, it was kind of cool. After a relaxing night in a semi OK hotel we set off for Troy itself. Much more inland than the movie makes out (apparently the sea receeded a couple thousand years ago) and now a very busy tourist trap. We were lucky we had such a small group as we were able to take our time around the site. It is amazing to see the different settlements as Troy was built 7 times and this is very evident in the excavations. Of course our guide gave us a run down on the story written by Homer, however the more factual stories surrounding the city and excavations are also very interesting. One of these includes the treasures stolen by the original German archiologist to excavate the city, one of the reasons German archiologists are no longer allowed to
Kıwı MemorıalKıwı MemorıalKıwı Memorıal

At Chunuk Bair
work in Turkey (until they get their treasures back of course).

We were glad to move on from Troy however as our tour guide was beginning to exhibit his habit of going off on a tangent and not really telling us anything interesting (very much annoyed Kelly when he stopped talking about Troy altogether).

Our next stop was the Acropolis of Pergamum. In its time it held the third largest library in the world, behind only Ephesus and Alexandria. The appeal of this ancient site is where it sits. It is right at the top of a mountain looking to the plains below. We had to get up there by a cable car followed by a number of steps. Although we have been to many ancient sites, it never ceases to amaze us, the history is just phenomenal.

After a couple of days of hard touring we were glad to get to Kusadasi where we would spend the next two nights. Next on our schedule is Ephesus, which is said to be the best preserved ancient city in the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Troy HorseTroy Horse
Troy Horse

From the movıe gıven to cıty after the movıe haha...
Acropolıs of PergamumAcropolıs of Pergamum
Acropolıs of Pergamum

Steepest Ampitheatre in Turkey.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb