Day 111: Gallipoli (Elle)


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
August 17th 2011
Published: August 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post




This morning we walked to the Fez office and met our tour group at 7am. There are only 6 people on our 2 week tour and our transport is a transit van which has air conditioning thank goodness. We headed off towards Gallipoli, which was a 5 hour drive, stopping halfway for a break. While we were there our tour leader, Elif, went through the itinerary with us for the 2 weeks - everything sounds absolutely amazing and I am going to try and do as much as possible.

After our break we drove the rest of the way to Gallipoli which was another 2 hours. We visited Anzac Cove, Lone Pine cemetery which is the main Australian cemetery, Chanuk Bair cemetery, which is the main NZ cemetery, a few other cemetery's, and also the site of the dawn service. We also got to see the trenches that the ANZACs dug, and there is only 40m of no mans land in between those and the Turkish trenches in some places. Apparently the ANZACs dug 300km of trenches in the 250 days the battle lasted which is massive. The whole afternoon was really interesting and there were lots of other Australians and New Zealanders at the sites with us.

After our last stop we headed to our hotel in Canakkale. It was really new and much nicer than what we were expecting since we are on a budget tour. We went out for a group dinner to a place just down the road, then we went to look at the horse from the movie Troy. Tomorrow we are leaving at 8am for a long day of driving to Kusadasi.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb