Gallipoli


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
October 21st 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Istanbul early in the morning and took a 5hr bus to Eceabat. A tour guide picked us up and we set off on a PACKAGE TOUR. Kees was over the moon at having reached the highest echalon of travelers.

It was a fantastic, and often somber experience. We visited the museum, what amazed me most was all the bullets which they had found which had hit one another in mid air. Can you imagine the intesity of fighting that would be neccessary for this to occur on such a large scale. We walked at ANZAC cove, around Lone Pine. We visited Chunuk Bair where the Kiwis triumphed before handing over to the British who lost the ground again. There were some excellent Turkish memorials as well. We saw Shrapnel Valley and the trenches on both sides, often with 8 metres of each other. Months and months of bloody, and largely pointless trench warfare. There can be few things less pleasant on this earth.

There were other Ausies and Kiwis on the tour which was cool, and there were plenty of Young Turks on tours also.

This was so very special an experience for a Kiwi and anyone visiting Turkey should make the effort.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

lone pine lone pine
lone pine

Australia's main memorial ground
GallipoliGallipoli
Gallipoli

stunner!
GallipoliGallipoli
Gallipoli

with memorial


Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb