Pergamum-Troy - Cankkale


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Canakkale
May 6th 2011
Published: May 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

HospitalHospitalHospital

Note the fig tree growing out of the wall
Pergamum – Troy – Cankkale
Another big day of travelling – we have covered a lot of miles in Turkey but the bus stops every hour and a half so there are lots of breaks. One of my favorite places we visited today was a hospital – 4th century BC – so unbelievable they had a hospital then but it was no ordinary hospital, For a start they wouldn’t accept any pregnant women, or anyone who looked like dying or was very ill. It was more like a research centre…. One story Enis told us was that a patient had a dream about two snakes drinking milk and so the doctors got the idea of milking the snakes and that was the beginning of antidotes. The hospital was on a natural thermal spring and they used water and music therapy to soothe the mentally challenged – having discovered drilling into a patient’s skull does not let the ‘bad soul’ out. We stood in an area where the patients were observed from above by the doctors. It was the beginning of psychology…..
On the same site was a theatre – 2nd century A.D. – where the original steps can still be sat
HospitalHospitalHospital

Another view
on – and they were comfortable for marble. This place was in the middle of no where – and it was so peaceful. Fig trees growing in the ruins, wild flowers all around, huge oak trees, and the sound of frogs. The spring is still there and a few tried the water. There was a feeling to the place and I would’ve liked a bit longer just to sit ad soak it in. But we had other places to go…….
On to Troy – or Troia –the famous story that we all know so well of the wooden horse. This place dates back to 700 B.C. and tied into the Greek mythology of Homer. Several Troys were built on top of each other – on the ruins of each other and this has made it hard for the archaeologists. So far 9 Troys have been found – incredible! So much history in this place its mind boggling.
We ended the day at Canakkale overlooking the Dardanelles. Another great location for the hotel as it overlooked the water and we could see the Gallipoli peninsula – where we will head tomorrow. Tonight was our final dinner with these people who we
HospitalHospitalHospital

Entrance to the hospital
have had the privilege of sharing these wonderful experiences with….Greg & Lee, Michelle & Ken. Unfortunately Ann was staying another hotel, but we knew we would be seeing her – our last day at Gallipoli which I have already written about and published.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Three wise monkeysThree wise monkeys
Three wise monkeys

Theatre at Hospital
TroyTroy
Troy

Levels of civilization - Troy from 2000BC to now - uncovered
Naughty AussiesNaughty Aussies
Naughty Aussies

The tour group from 5th story windows at Cankkale.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb