Ephesus (Efes)


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Selçuk
October 10th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The TheatreThe TheatreThe Theatre

This theatre used to hold up to 25,000 people.
From Istanbul we flew to Izmır, a 1 hour flight as opposed to a 12 hour bus journey, this was to be a difficult choice... At the airport we hired a car where Will did an exceptional job of driving us south to Selçuk. It was quite exciting to be let loose on foreign roads without a decent road map! An hour or so drive and we arrived, found some good accommodation with lovely people and proceeded to Ephesus for the afternoon. Ephesus, also know as Efes has been around since 5000BC. It is assumed that it was inhabited by the Ions first of all, the Kimmers, Lydians, the Persians and then the Romans. It is the Roman city we see today which dates from 300BC.
I found it fascinating wanderıng through the ruins. A library is present, churches, a brothel and even the communal loos! I think the most impressive was the Theatre, it could hold up to 25,000 people. It was easy to spend hours exploring the cıty, just trying to imagine what it was like so long ago.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Looking downLooking down
Looking down

The acoustics were amazing, we could hear everything that was said from the people down below!
The main roadThe main road
The main road

This was once shadowed by statues lining the left and the right.
RestorationRestoration
Restoration

If you look closely on the arch, you can see the cracks where it shattered and has now been put back.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb