Ephesus and Selcuk


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Selçuk
April 23rd 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey, guess what, I went to visit some roman ruins!

My apologies for the sarcastic tone, but after a cold shower on a cold morning, a long drive to Ephesus and another roman site, this wasn't my most positive day!

But in saying that, Ephesus has some lovely features and things that do differentiate it from the scores of other sites around this part of the world. The library was massive back in the day, not quite rivalling Alexandria but pretty substantial none the less. And a lovely facade still stands from it.

And of course the roman toilet is an obligatory stop. It's hard to imagine using a WC as a communal social stop, but that's what the case was here. And the order of seating depended on rank. We had quite some speculation about what happened when someone else arrived to upset the rank order, did you have to move? The mind boggles...

Enough scatiological references from me, enjoy the pictures!

After appreciating the ruins, we travelled onto Selcuk. Here we had a wander round the town and dinner before using a day room for a shower and getting on our bus at midnight to do an overnight trip to Carnakkale. This was to arrive the day before ANZAC day at Gallipoli to see the area minus the hordes of travellers...

Overnight buses are not fun! But the thought of actually being at Gallipoli, and on ANZAC day no less, makes it all worth it...





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb