Shorts In November


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Selçuk
November 2nd 2007
Published: November 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well we woke this morning with the primary intent of phoning the Fenerbahce ticket line to try and book tickets. Jimmy did try but they told him we would have to buy tickets from a club shop somewhere. Jimmy suggested going to Izmir for the day and buying tickets from the club shop there. However, Rob was intent on experiencing Turkish beach and so after some recommendations by Jimmy, we made our way to Millie national park. It took two buses and a considerable amount of time to get there. We were both expecting it to be a lot nearer and a lot easier to get to. We paid our 3ytl each to get in and got off the dolmus slightly worried that the time and expense of getting there would not be worthwhile. We reached the top of the steps that lead down into the little bay and it looked amazing. Neither of us dared hope that it was completely empty but it was and it was such a perfect little beach. We rushed down onto the sand and were greeted by a big ginger cat that meowed a lot when we went too far out and stayed and guarded our belongings for most of the day.

Rob found an abandoned kayak on the beach which he found to be broken. After scouring the beach for things to plug holes with he had a kayak that floated again (sort of). The water was warm and clear and you could see lots of little fish swimming around your feet. We spent six hours on the beach and were only joined by a group of Germans much later in the afternoon, and then they kept to the opposite side of the bay. We did lose our guard cat when they arrived but we had neglected him in our slightly manic hole digging session. We dug some fantastic holes but couldn't get water to them because the sand was higher than the sea. It was only when we dug deep enough to reach water that we stopped long enough to remember that we were in a national park and that maybe digging holes in it may be frowned upon.

As I said we spent six hours there and the time passed rather too easily. In our haste to get to the beach this morning we had neglected to pack any food which was something we regretted when the sun was setting and we had about two hours until we got home. We shared a pseudo Twix which really wasn't that satisfying and served only to remind us how hungry we both were.


Getting home took quite a long time and it was pitch black when we arrived in Selcuk. We were dropped off at the bus station and so took the opportunity to buy our tickets to Pamukkale to ensure that we would actually leave this place. Again our haggling skills reduced the price by 5ytl.

We ate at another place recommended by Lonely Planet. I had vegetarian special which was beautiful and a change from salads and plates of unseasoned vegetables. A cat sat next to our table and Rob amused himself by throwing bits of bread which the cat ate readily. It would have been a better meal if the owner hadn't been one of the pushier types who kept hovering the entire meal.

Lonely Planet had recommended a family run ice cream shop which we decided to try. We both had the recommended mixed chocolate and then I had one of the worst tasting flavours imaginable, even Rob didn't want to finish it. (But he did).

At the hostel we aided our decision making about our next hostel with a bottle of local wine bought from the supermarket earlier. We were just attempting to upload photos when Jimmy and Juju came in to say goodnight. Not only did we have a fantastic time because of them, but the hostel itself is good and Selcuk is lovely. It will be hard to leave tomorrow. Night. Stob



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



8th November 2007

cats cats cats
The day at the beach sounded wonderful especially as the weather getting cooler here. You certainly seem to attract cats! Now when you get home if you wanted a pet - a cat would be better than a ra....sorry, didn't mean to be insensitive. Love mumxxxxxx

Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 27; qc: 127; dbt: 0.1421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb