Bergama to Pamukkale


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Pamukkale
June 15th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was a long and hot ride from Bergama to Pamukkale but all went pretty much to plan in that we did not get lost or have any sort of mishap. We took the inland route via Sahili, more direct and less highway. There were a couple of events of note, firstly roadworks, there was a short bit of unsurfaced road and gravel which returned to a reasonable surface after a few hundred yards, I thought great, through that, then.... Back to unsurfaced road, loose gravel and dust, it just stretched into the distance as far as the eye could see. There was about 10 miles of it. We went slowly, bikes and gravel / loose stones are not a good combination especially when the surface below is uneven. We got through it. I do not like riding on gravel. Secondly I missed the first turn off for Pamukkale because it was not properly signposted, but then again, it was not the normal accepted route in. So we had to face the highway around Denizli. We stopped briefly, Hilary asked for and got directions. With these it became pretty simple, stay on the highway, take the Ankara turn, continue 3 miles, take the Pamukkale turn. All went fine.

The ride although long, and with the above was also at times a lot of fun, some good roads, some good scenery. We stopped a few times, for water, tea, petrol. Petrol is expensive here, more expensive than the UK. Well over 1UK a litre, so about 5UK a gallon. I guess we just have to pay the price. Plenty of other stuff costs very little.

We got to Pamukkale, sorted a hotel, a nice place, big room, more like a suite, with AC, bar, pool, and stuff for about UK20 a night including breakfast. Right outside our room, from the balcony, there is a peach tree (seftali in Turkish), which has a dove nesting in it. Partridge in a Pear Tree, Dove in a Peach Tree.

After a quick dip in the pool to cool off we went for a wander on foot. The while hills are limestone deposited like stalagmites from water running down the hillside. It is amazingly pretty. There are pools which can be bathed in which we will take pictures of tomorrow, and above in the city of Heiropolis, most of the remains are Roman. I think this place has been a health spa for the best part of 2000 years.

The ride was interesting because it went through 'ordinary' places, some industrial, some agricultural but nothing to interest 'the tourist'. So, pretty much the real Turkey of this region.

Oh and we were hunted for the hotel Venus by a guy on a moped. It has a pool and AC and the wireless internet seems to work OK - also not expensive.


Advertisement



16th June 2009

is that snow????
hehehehe, it is in the 100's here in south east TEXAS..... very glad you got through the gravel without any mishaps....have fun and stay safe!!! chuck
16th June 2009

Not snow
It's calcium carbonate - like stalactites and stalagmites or the scale you get in your kettle. It's very shiney! It's entirely natural.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb