Izmir and Ephesus


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Izmir
July 16th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The ship docked in Izmir, Turkey (aka Smyrnia) and we walked off the gangway and into Asia. We boarded a bus for a tour to ancient Ephesus, about an hour away. It was surreal to be walking where Paul walked and to be experiencing the city that has been the setting of so many sermons over the years. My Mom and I had both made a point of reading the book of Ephesians before going. It was strange to have this whole other dimension added to a text that can become almost too familiar. The Library of Celius was particularly thrilling- the 3rd largest known ancient library. I had the great self satisfaction of being able to read some of the Greek inscribed on the walls of various ruins. It’s hard to describe the kind of thrill that brought.

-Erica



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

alone in the amphitheatrealone in the amphitheatre
alone in the amphitheatre

actually not- you are never alone in Europe
Statue of ArtmeisStatue of Artmeis
Statue of Artmeis

in the Archeological Museum


28th July 2007

Connected over the centuries
I remember my first swim in the Mediterranean, and feeling so connected to the history of man....... doing what they did, where they did it, thoussands of years later. Words cannont describe! Sounds like you had that same experience, Erica, in an even more profound way when you were able to read Greek texts from the ancient past. Incredible, eh? Pete, did you have that same feeling sitting on the potty?

Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb