Ruins of Ephesus


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Ephesus
October 11th 2009
Published: November 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ephesus, once a Greek port town on the Aegean sea now lies several kilometers inland so our tour started at the port city of Kusadasi (Bird Island). Kusadasi 25 years ago we were told was a small fishing village but with the number of tourist the city is much larger and busier.

This was our second of two tours with the group of twenty. After another day at sea our tour guide Levent was originally scheduled to fly and meet us but due to a situation another guide and and his assistant met us for our tour, I can't remember his or her name.

We seemed to have arrived before the other boat tours in Ephesus as we started our tour. They have multiple separated areas where tour guides can give an overview of the area to a group before heading into the ruins. Tours are the way to go, they drop you off at the "top" and let you walk downhill then then pick you up at the "bottom", I read in a tour book that a taxi simply drops you off at the bottom then wait for you to make a return trip back to town. Nestled in a valley the views were amazing as we entered the ruins.

Our guide seemed very knowledgeable and the assistant trailed behind to make sure all twenty of us didn't get lost.Buildings gone, ruins remaining and buildings restored were on either side as we made our way to what was once the sea front. Our guide explained the way the columns were put together to some of the Biblical history outlined in the book of Acts where Paul came and preached in the very theaters we were walking among.

It didn't take long but the crowds were arriving in droves. The "public restroom" ruins seemed to be very popular, many were posing sitting on the toilets for photographs. Overheard (I was told) in this crowded area overlooking the Library of Celsus somebody said "move along, you're not buying property here". Another sculpture was largely ignored until told that it represented the goddess Nike, once they realized this was what the shoe company Nike was named after it was no longer ignored (and yes, I took a photo of it too).

Our tour included this but requires an additional ticket beyond the Ephesus ruins entry was the Terrace houses near the Library of Celsus and across from the Hadrian Temple. Far less crowded (due to extra admission?) the terrace houses were covered and under active restoration. Many of the mosaic floors and frescoes were restored and a walkway was built to keep people off the floors. The was probably the highlight to be able to go through these houses, houses that were warmed like the Roman baths through clay pipes and the "private" restrooms and inside wells for water. I could tell our guide had not been here recently as he found it interesting to see areal photography of the terrace houses only recently still covered in sod and grass.

Even in October the weather was quite warm and the crowds were coming in as we continued to the Library of Celsus where the facade is reconstructed on down to the massive amphitheater where Paul once preached and where modern concerts are held (We're told Elton John has played here).

On the way out we came across some costumed actors dancing and gladiator fighting and fortunately speaking English surrounded by tourists taking pictures. The parking lot was a madhouse of large buses as drivers fought to get through to pick up their groups.

We had a quick lunch at a nearby restaurant with set menu (I had lamb) and then we went to the Ephesus Archaeological Museum. There was plenty of information accompanying most of the pieces as well as our tour guide explaining things for us for a worthwhile trip. Our final stop was the ruins for the Temple of Artemis where nothing is left but a few stones. Only recently discovered the area was so nondescript that only three of us got off the bus. I bought a few (mostly) fresh figs from a street vendor that were pretty tasty.

Enough of the people on the bus wanted time for shopping in Kusadasi so we ended the tour without visiting the House of the Virgin Mary where some believe Mary lived her final days. I'm a bit skeptical that this is what they believe it is so I didn't mind passing it by.

After our drop off in Kusadasi Kelly and I took off on our own to Pigeon Island then we stopped at a couple of cafes where we could get free internet for out netbook instead of using overpriced minutes bought aboard the ship while we watched the sun set over the water.




Link to Kodak Gallery Photos.

Video Ephesus 1 (YouTube). Click the HD button once video loads for 720 HD.

Video Ephesus - In the Valley.

Video Ephesus - Terrace Houses, Library, Public Restrooms.

Video Ephesus - Terrace Houses 1.

Video Ephesus - Terrace Houses 2.

Video Ephesus - Terrace Houses 3.

Video Ephesus - Terrace Houses 4.

Video Ephesus - Terrace Houses 5.

Video Ephesus - Library of Celsus.

Video Ephesus - Theater.

Video Kusadsasi - Night View as we Leave.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb