Bergama and Troy


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Bergama
July 12th 2011
Published: July 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

TheaterTheaterTheater

10,000 Seats
There are several of us in the group that are getting all columned out. These ruins are starting to blend altogether and it is getting difficult to keep it all straight. We are all still so appreciative and thankful to be here, I mean, it is a good problem to have, all in all. Even our leader was saying the other day that it will take a while for us to process it all and I’m agreeing with her 100%.

The first stop today on July 11 was to Bergama and the Acropolis. There is a new tram in place to take us to the top of the mountain. The most impressive ruin to me was the 10,000 seat theater. It was very vertical and if I had the time, I don’t think I would have climbed all over this one like I have the others. The other more impressive ruin was seeing where the Alter of Zeus was before it was taken to Germany where it is now in a museum in Berlin. We also made a stop at Asciepion, an ancient healing place.

The next day we visited Troy, but we were told from the start to
The Trojan HorseThe Trojan HorseThe Trojan Horse

This was used in the movie, Troy, starring Brad Pitt in 2004.
not have our expectations too high. Our guide explained that we should take nine different transparent city plans and place them on top of each other and try to find your way around. The city of Troy has been destroyed by earthquakes and war several times and each time another Troy was just built on top of the ruins. It made for some imaginative sightseeing, but nevertheless, it was incredible being there. We had time to walk around on our own and time all alone is valuable on an experience like this. Being alone, you can go back and revisit locations that we may have walked right by before.

The end of the day we went into the town of Canakkale to see the Trojan Horse that was used in the movie, Troy, starring Brad Pitt.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

StatueStatue
Statue

Do I look good as a Roman?
Altar of ZeusAltar of Zeus
Altar of Zeus

middle tree is right where the altar was.
tunnel leading to Asciepiontunnel leading to Asciepion
tunnel leading to Asciepion

this was a place of healing
RichardRichard
Richard

Getting us ready for Troy with a skit retelling the events leading up to Troy.
PosterPoster
Poster

showing all the levels on top of each other
Me Me
Me

trying to climb the walls of Troy.
The Schliemann TrenchThe Schliemann Trench
The Schliemann Trench

this is not the way to excavate.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb