Exploring Aleppo - Fire breaks - Day 16


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria
September 29th 2007
Published: October 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Explored the city in the morning, the Citadel, and the obligatory walk through the Souk. We left at noon aiming to reach the Castle of the Chevaliers. But the traffic was chaotic and the road under heavy improvement works so, before it got too late, we made a dash up a wooded mountainside and found a bulldozed firebreak track in which we could set up camp.

A forest fire had swept through this area so it was no surprise that before too long someone came to check us out. Language problem - no communication! He left, only to reappear later with an English speaker who was worried for us on two counts, Firstly that we might set fire to the place and secondly that we might be trapped in any further fire sweeping up the valley. We assured him that we would be lighting no fires (or stoves) and that we did not smoke so they finally gave up and said - “Welcome!” We turned in early after a cold, cooked (bought) chicken supper. Some of us slept well, others had tummy problems which we put down to the chicken. (89 miles today)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.37s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb