It's good to be American... 5+ hours for a Syrian visa for Americans only! (**Free and immediate processing for North Koreans)


Advertisement
Middle East » Syria » South » Damascus
August 1st 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Coming from a country with fairly poor diplomatic relations with so many countries have had it's downs and downs. For one, individual travel is banned from several countries like Iran (which is supposed to be one of the most incredible places to visit according to the dozens of European travels I've met), Sudan and North Korea, or you have to pay more for a visa due to reciprocity. Another is the ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

In our guesthouse courtyard...In our guesthouse courtyard...
In our guesthouse courtyard...

view from our window Damascus
inside the Omayyad mosqueinside the Omayyad mosque
inside the Omayyad mosque

Yousef being a good guide... with the Lonely Planet on hand
PrayerPrayer
Prayer

for bonus points
boy and his pigeonboy and his pigeon
boy and his pigeon

in the mosque
fresh orange juicefresh orange juice
fresh orange juice

omar: 2 / yousef:2 / grace: 4 I WIN!!!!!



23rd September 2007

n korea??
interesting, 'm sure they never get any n. korean visitors... u are looking tan lady. i can't wait to see u in la even though i've seen you off and on for the past 2 years!! heard you might be in london?? i just talked to chiwoan a few days ago! i miss you and ill see u in a few weeks..
24th September 2007

An adventure worthy of Travelblog's front page!
Grace, am very much impressed with your travel itinerary - you journey to destinations many people would avoid. Many of the places you have visited, such as gorillas in Rwanda/DR Congo, Kenya and now Syria, are also within my travel radar in the next two years. Thanks for your insight into these fascinating regions and hopefully my arrival in these countries will be less traumatic than your experience on entering Syria! Hope you continue to explore the world for many more years!
24th September 2007

Grace's blaahhbaa featured
Yipeee... just found out that we are both featured bloggers now!!! so maybe your blaaablaahblaa writing is not as boring as I thought! Congrats! and heey - I hate to say it - but I miss you! See you in London or Hamburg soon... your boring Donk-Chi :)
26th September 2007

Gollee Gee
You keep impressing and inspiring...don't slow and keep sending these wonderful blogs to keep our imaginations wild as you actually experience these places, peoples, and feelings. I will send an email to catch up on lotsa happenings but if you happen to be near Boston this is where I be! You have an open invite and a good listener around the campfire for your tales and insights. So Jealous!
1st November 2007

What's Missing
Wait... did you skip Jordan? Did you SKIP PETRA!? That was one of the highlights of my trip. Did I teach you nothing? Maryland-sharer! I'm jealous of Syria, I should have gone.
8th December 2007

I am sorry! I totally side with the taxi driver. $50 is nothing for 3 people. I would have exacted all of your heads. He is not your servant to drive you all over the place and wait several hours for you at your beck and call. Not only should the 3 of you have given him the $50 but a $10 tip, then gone out to get him something to eat. Generosity breeds generosity. So 3 of you saved $30 by not paying up. $10 for each of you. Wow! What kind of hoodlums are you. I'd never wish to run into the sort of riff-raff that you all are.

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb