Saudi, partner!


Advertisement
Saudi Arabia's flag
Middle East » Saudi Arabia
May 13th 2022
Published: February 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post

By this point in the prolonged journey, I was roughly 5 or so weeks in, and still no signs of homesickness - I suspect that's what you get when you are able to call anywhere home. Home therefore was, at this point in life, a hotel in Jeddah, the nation's second city, and located in the southern part of Saudi Arabia, a nation long known as an oil-rich country with a few strict and conservative guidelines on how life here should be lived. In search of culture and otherworldliness though, seeing Saudi Arabia through the eyes of a tourist was a different proposition, and the city tour started life in Jeddah's stunning historic district, surely the most satisfying collection of all-in-one-place ancient buildings the nation has to offer. In a nutshell, there are colours, various buildings styles, the ramshackle nestling alongside the seemingly more durable, and a few streets and alleyways which connect all this, so to appreciate the full effect, it is wise that the visitor attempts to gain as much of a feel for old Jeddah as possible, since this nation is chock-full of modern shoppings malls, and the historic relics really give Jeddah a cultural edge. The souks and more modern faces of Jeddah are interesting enough contrasts, but this is a city which is perhaps shaped by religion, some consolation, given that Mecca and Medina are accessible only to those of a Muslim faith. Jeddah's Corniche is yet another prominent feature, and though this is a coastal city, beach life is not really a prominent feature thereof, the clearer waters and better diving options existing further along the coast. The nation's third largest city of Dammam has, for my money, the nation's most appealing city centre with an evening atmosphere full of Arabian charm and exoticism. The city's proximity and gateway to the island nation of Bahrain has no doubt influenced the way the city has been developed, and a walk along a thin strip of land to Marjan island gives you the impression of having slightly disconnected from the mainland without having to have travelled as far afield as neighbouring Bahrain. The city's Marina Mall is a hub of modern all-under-one-roof shopping options, but for a more authentically Arabian feel, you'd be hard pressed to top the downtown area souks which define the Arabian Gulf so adeptly that you'll be considering that hookah pipe purchase for purely commemorative and decorative purposes. Leaving Dammam (by train), and heading west in more or less a straight line brings you (eventually) to the nation's capital city of Riyadh, yet the overall appeal my indeed provoke a certain doubt in your mind as to whether or not the nation's largest urban area is its most fulfilling. For my money, Riyadh is extremely typical of the type of activity which has characterized the nation for very many years - the constant influx of business visitors, and their lucrative investment plans which has made Saudi Arabia a massive hub of business tourism in the entire region. Given that the nation only recently opened its doors to tourists within the last few years, my overall assessment is that the business side of city life here has yet to truly yield to the kind of potential for tourism which has never been too worked upon up until now. Landmark buildings of note such as Masmuk fortress and the impressive modern structure that is the kingdom tower (replete with superlative viewing deck) are a couple of attractions which Riyadh really needs to expand upon so as to fulfil the tourist potential to a greater extent. The outlying desert which surrounds Riyadh offers some scope for exploration, but in reality, this is a destination which has been almost entirely shaped by oil revenue, business visitors, religion, and a passion for status symbols which flaunt their legendary wealth. This was indeed the point in the entire voyage which saw the Middle East section being bid a fond farewell, and with the promise of what was pending and more besides suggested that the entire episode had been put together with an aim of squeezing as much variety into the mix as possible. On that score, less than two months into the journey, aims were being fulfilled, and the plan of action was in no grave danger of failing to provide the level of enjoyment which the pandemic era emotions of joylessness had led many of us to hanker for.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb