Can you identify: Minnesota vs. KSA?


Advertisement
Saudi Arabia's flag
Middle East » Saudi Arabia » Dhahran
October 13th 2009
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mystery Photo #1Mystery Photo #1Mystery Photo #1

Is this Minnesota or Saudi Arabia?
Both of these photos were taken within the last 24 hours. One was taken in Minnesota and the other was taken on my way to work this morning in Saudi Arabia. Can you tell which photo goes to which place?

OK, that might not have been the hardest quiz question. While it's been snowing and below freezing in Minnesota, it's been 100 degrees F. (38 C.) here in Dhahran. I think I left at the right time!

This is looking like it's going to be quite a short trip. Since the plan is for me to leave a week from tomorrow, I will only have one weekend, which is this Thursday and Friday. A bunch of us are planning an excursion on Thursday with Hal, an Aramco person. Hal wants to take us to a camel market. So please place your orders now. In case you didn't know, Saudi only have one-hump camels, so that's not an option. Still, you can choose male or female, young or old, Republican or Democrat (no wait, that's just for donkeys and elephants. I get confused.).

The last two days have been work, work, work which is good because that's why they
Mystery Photo #2Mystery Photo #2Mystery Photo #2

Is this Minnesota or Saudi Arabia?
pay us, but boring, boring, boring in terms of blog entries. So the major excitement was Stir Fry night at the Dining Hall. You select a bowl of chicken, beef, or shrimp (or as they say "shrimps") and then fill a bowl with assorted veggies like onions, carrots, shredded cabbage, green peppers, bean sprouts, etc. You need to make sure it's so full that it spills on the floor on the way over to the grill place. They then grill it and add either rice or spaghetti. The spaghetti is called "noodles" but it's really spaghetti. I didn't spend all that time at the Olive Garden and not know the difference between spaghetti and Asian noodles. Anyway, it's grilled and they add "special sauces" along with ginger and garlic. It gets dumped on a plate the size of North Dakota. It's quite good actually.

So there you have it.

Advertisement



13th October 2009

A Plate the Size of ND
Wow...and to think there are people starving in the world. Glad you missed the snow.
13th October 2009

You've got your nerve.
So its hot there. big deal. Remember it is only 68 days until winter.
15th October 2009

Mystery Photos and Stir Fry
I thought maybe it was a trick question -- like Saudi during a sand-storm. :o) Your Stir-Fry sounds a lot like Hu Hots Mangolian Grill and now I am extremely hungry for dinner at HuHots.
5th January 2010

Mystery Photos
Photo#2 is of Saudi Arabia, as there is no snow in the kingdom .
6th January 2010

Mystery Photos
You are correct, Nadeem! However, there is PLENTY of snow in Minnesota. I would be willing to trade some Minnesotan snow for Saudi sand. Right now, here in Minnesota, the temperature is MINUS 23 degrees C.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb