Update: Hamad International Airport and Airport Rankings


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
October 16th 2014
Published: October 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar officially opened for business in late May 2014. While at that point, all commercial flights were then flying from there, there was and still is a lot of work to be done. It has been interesting to note the changes at the airport in the last five months, including the opening of the food court and many shops. I went tonight and there was definitely much more going on. I was actually thinking before I went to the airport, "golly it would be so nice to have a table that is not for food, but in a business area, where I can do my borehole logging." And bam! I saw one on the way to my gate! Like, I wish I were making this up, but it was comical to me - that was when I stopped to take pictures. In addition to the quiet tables, there is a laptop/computer center and a TV area - I guess this is where people go that want to watch movies on their iPads or something. It was amazing to see how different airports can be, this one being constructed entirely into the 21st century. So there is an improved convenience factor, even though the ongoing construction and even the glitches can still be a headache (there were leaking pipes and a taped off entranceway near the ground level parking area when I arrived).

So, this made me think: It's time to update my Airport Rankings List. I had previously done this back on October 15, 2012 (2 years!). I've visited many airports since then and I knew HIA had moved up significantly. Below, the format is the same; the rank, airport, (times visited), followed by scores for things to do, layout, delays, friendliness, accessibility, cleanliness, and average score (1 being low, 10 being high). This is then followed by the (previous rank). Let's start, shall we?

1. Helsinki (2), 7, 9, 9, 10, 9, 10, 9.0, (1) - It is going to be hard to knock this its throne. The cleanliness, convenience, and friendliness has made this the best airport experience I have ever had. Ever.

2. Detroit (18?), 9, 9, 7, 9, 9, 10, 8.83 (2) - I feel confident in my decision to keep Detroit at #2 after having flown through here again on my September US trip. The main terminal train is incredibly easy and convenient, customs was a breeze (and the guards were actually friendly!), lots to do, super clean, and there is even a Hungry Howie's!!!

3. Rochester, NY (22?), 6, 9, 9, 8, 9, 9, 8.33 (5) - Rochester has moved up a lot in my estimation. Always reliable, very friendly staff, easily accessible and with even just one bar per terminal, there are ways to keep yourself busy during a short, quiet wait.

4. Lihue, HI (2), 6, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 8.17 (4) - Small, friendly, tropical airport. Fun! Easy to rent a car with a good atmosphere.

5. Ithaca, NY (4), 2, 9, 10, 7, 10, 10, 8.0 (3) - This one dropped a couple of pegs and I am debating to drop it even more. Previously, I had only ever flown into Ithaca. I was not impressed on my first flight out. Checking in was an ordeal and this is for a small airport. But the hardest pill to swallow was the security check of my checked baggage. Apparently, they went through everything in my roller carryon sized bag, taking it out and displaying it in public. I did not know this, but my perpetually nervous father had been wandering and saw it - unacceptable! Then, they did not pack it correctly. I had a short layover at a hotel in LA and I had carefully packed my bag so that my overnight supplies would be easily accessible on top. Instead I had to rearrange my entire bag when I got to my hotel at midnight. Yeah, this actually should be ranked much lower...

6. Ronald Reagan, DC (8?), 8, 9, 6, 8, 9, 8, 8.0 (8) - This airport moves up a couple of spots because I am continually happy with the consistent service and convenience. It is located right in DC, with easy access to the metro as well as convenient for when my sister picks me up. It is mid-size, but with plenty to do.

7. Charlotte, NC (10), 8, 7, 7, 9, 7, 9, 7.83 (6) - A nice, reliable airport with rocking chairs to set a good mood. I have no complaints about this airport and only pleasant memories of transferring through here.

8. Santa Barbara (6), 2, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 7.83 (7) - Obviously, there is not much to do at the airport, but it is a small and beautiful spot with the Spanish colonial architecture, easy access, and relative peaceful feeling you get (and desire!) before a flight.

9. Portland, OR (2) 4, 7, 7, 8, 9, 8, 7.17 (9) - I like this airport, even though there is nothing really special about it and there is not much to do. It was very convenient to find my way from the airport to town on the train, glimpsing the best Portland has to offer on the way, seeing the many bike paths that show you what type of town you're in, and seeing Mt Hood in the distance.

10. Orlando, FL (2), 8, 7, 6, 8, 7, 7, 7.17 (NR) - Despite having been here many times to drop off or pick up someone, I had never actually flown through until September. I was impressed. The monorails from the gate to the main terminal were efficient and convenient. The staff was friendly. Renting a car was a snap (except I was not happy with Hertz, actually). There was plenty to do, including last minute Disney shopping. And finding the Disney Magical Express was easy and ridiculously Disney-style efficient.

11. Denver, CO (10), 9, 7, 6, 8, 4, 8, 7.00 (10) - Only moves down because it has been beaten. This is usually a great airport for transfers - a nice, large main terminal building with a gazillion things to do. However, if this is your destination be forewarned that you are at least 40 minutes from town in the middle of nowhere, and due to the mountains, expect some turbulence.

12. Buffalo, NY (12), 5, 8, 8, 7, 8, 5, 6.83 (11) - Convenient location just outside Buffalo and along the thruway. But always seemed to be under construction, with little to do, and can take some wallops in the winter from lake effect snow.

13. Honolulu (1), 8, 7, 5, 7, 7, 7, 6.83 (12) - Nice large airport in paradise, where you can actually go outside for fresh air while waiting for your transfer.

14. Dubai, UAE (30?), 7, 6, 7, 6, 7, 7, 6.67 (20) - Dubai has moved up the more I travel through it; using e-gate made it a great, easy experience. You can catch the metro or grabbing a taxi is no problem; ladies taxis are also available for women and family. For a while, I thought it was going downhill, but last night's trip confirmed my experiences - they are continuously improving. Now there is smart-gate for various members (based on passport countries, residency or e-gate). While I could not get Smart Gate to work for me, its presence ensured very short customs lines. Also, the business class lounge here is unparalleled.

15. Fort Lauderdale (2), 3, 8, 7, 8, 8, 6, 6.67 (13) - Another small tropical airport with good memories and easy access.

16. Las Vegas, NV (6), 8, 8, 6, 6, 8, 4, 6.67 (14) - Always busy, Las Vegas has its system down to make sure their visitors get straight to the casinos. Baggage claim is simple and while there is a long line for the taxis, it goes quickly - it is easy to meet people or share a ride. And when you leave, if you still have money left, there are some games for you to keep that feeling going right up until you step on your plane.

17. Tampere, Finland (1), 2, 8, 8, 8, 8, 6, 6.67 (15) - Very small airport, very efficient
#24:  Hamad International Airport (Doha)#24:  Hamad International Airport (Doha)#24: Hamad International Airport (Doha)

rooms devoted to TV viewers
(like all Finnish things!)

18. Long Beach, CA (2), 6, 7, 8, 8, 4, 6, 6.50 (16) - Very small, lovely airport. Loses points for accessibility - it is hard to get here if you don't drive or have someone drive you.

19. Amman, Jordan (2), 5, 7, 7, 5, 7, 8, 6.50 (NR) - I was quite impressed flying into and out of Jordan. On a reversal of the usual, the customs line for non-citizens was actually shorter! You have to pay 40 JD, which was a pain because the one ATM was not working, but people were willing to help. Renting a car was easy and convenient. Checking in was also a breeze. Beautiful architecture and clean waiting areas.

20. Burbank, CA (6), 2, 7, 7, 8, 8, 6, 6.33 (NR) - Small airport in the middle of LA - I missed this airport on my last rankings blog. But I have only good memories flying through here when I first moved to California. There are only two terminals, but there is a fantastic restaurant / bar that seriously made the best breakfasts I can remember having. It is relatively cheap to park long term
#24:  Hamad International Airport (Doha)#24:  Hamad International Airport (Doha)#24: Hamad International Airport (Doha)

Computer and work table areas
and accessible from the trains. But it got more expensive to fly from the LA - about $100 per ticket - so I stopped going.

21. New Orleans, LA (5), 5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 5, 6.33 (17) Medium sized airport, easily accessible, but needs to work on cleanliness and activities.

22. Salalah, Oman (2), 2, 7, 9, 7, 8, 5, 6.33 (NR) Very small airport, with nothing to do, but extremely friendly, efficient, and it was among the easiest places to rent a car.

23. Memphis, TN (15), 5, 7, 7, 7, 7, 4, 6.17 (18) Medium sized airport that needs a remodel, but the system always works and staff are friendly.

24. Doha, Qatar (38?), 6, 6, 6, 5, 7, 7, 6.17 (44) Vast improvement! Previously, the old airport had an arrivals terminal and a departure terminal - located at opposite ends (almost) of the airport. This meant when you arrived, you had to take a bus and yellow "transfers" were taken to departures, while blue visitors were taken to arrivals. The system worked, but it was not fun. The buses where you were herded onto like cattle alone were a nightmare. Not to
#24:  Hamad International Airport (Doha)#24:  Hamad International Airport (Doha)#24: Hamad International Airport (Doha)

Childrens' play areas in art
mention, if you drove yourself, you got dropped off at a different location than you had parked so either had to take the questionably timed bus or splurge for a taxi. Now, it is all under one large roof! It is still under construction, but much better, many items detailed earlier in this blog. There are big and small items still outstanding. For instance, I used the moving walkway to gate C11, where it told me to get off. Only I wound up walking the entire length of the next walkway before getting to my gate - why didn't it say to get off at the next walkway? No thought went into it. There are also still quite a few buses to transport passengers while construction is ongoing; the rides are much shorter, but it is still annoying. I look forward to seeing more improvements in the future.

25. Tupelo, MS (6), 1, 8, 4, 8, 9, 6, 6.00 (19) A small airport in northeast Mississippi - again efficiency in these small airports is always key. And the southern hospitality is the added charm.

26. Amsterdam, Holland (4), 8, 7, 5, 4, 5, 6, 5.83 (NR) The first time through here, I was amazed. I was able to book my seat for my next flight the second I stepped off my plane, upgrading myself for a better flight to LA. Then I took a nice long shower at the Mercure during my layover. The tulip painted jetways, the things to do, the layout of the airport... I came away with nothing but positive things to say about this airport, so my initial ranking of this was much higher. Then I flew through here again in September and saw nothing but construction, little sign of those convenient kiosks that had allowed me to switch my seat previously, and incredibly rude staff. What a difference 18 months makes...

27. Toronto, Canada (2), 8, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5.83 (21) Flew from here to England when I was fifteen and have been picking up English family from here for a while. It is a big airport in the city, but accessibility always seemed difficult, and rude staff. I prefer Buffalo.

28. Nashville, TN (1), 3, 7, 3, 9, 7, 6, 5.83 (22) Only was supposed to transfer through here once, but my flight to LA was cancelled and since the airport shuts at 7pm (not joking), I was stuck! Fortunately, since you're in the middle of the south, the staff was unbelievably helpful and set me up in a nice hotel - she wasn't sure she was supposed to but no one answered her phone call, so she proceed. The only real downside of this situation was that they routed me through Dallas, which as you'll see below, is not my favorite airport...

29. Salt Lake City, UT (2), 5, 5, 5, 7, 7, 6, 5.83 (23) Small / medium sized airport. Relatively accessible, friendly, but not much to remember.

30. Mexico City (2), 8, 7, 3, 7, 5, 5, 5.84 (24) I actually really liked this airport; the people were friendly, there was a ton to do, customs was fairly easy to get through, and we stayed over in one of my favorite hotels ever - the Ramada nearby where I had delicious crab tostadas and a beautiful room. The only downside is that it seemed every flight was delayed at least 40 minutes.

31. Male, Maldives (2), 4, 6, 6, 7, 6, 6, 5.83 (NR) A nice tropical airport, with an outdoor waiting
#26:  Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam#26:  Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam#26: Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

shower facilities - much needed!
area and views of the city - the airport is split into two for international travel and the island hoppers. Both are located on a dedicated island - a little nerve wracking when you land actually - you turn around on the same run way to taxi back! Leaving was better - a decent food court and a shopping area set up in the middle of the terminal hall. It was not unpleasant to pass the time.

32. Boston, MA (1), 6, 6, 4, 5, 7, 6, 5.67 (25) Only been through here once after visiting a friend. Seemed relatively easy to drop me off (though expensive with tolls!), but not much else memorable.

33. Manchester, UK (2), 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 6, 5.67 (26) Came here when I was 15 and it was basically my first experience with international travel. Good memories; sadly, not much retained about the airport - nothing good, nothing bad.

34. Vienna, Austria (2), 5, 6, 5, 6, 7, 5, 5.67 (NR) This seemed to be an efficiently laid out airport, though when it was crowded and you were trying to through security to your gate, it became a hassle. Relatively easy to get to town. Cleanliness and friendliness needs improvement.

35. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2), 6, 8, 5, 5, 4, 6, 5.67 (NR) I was actually quite impressed with this airport, and may rank it higher in the future. Arriving was the better part - customs was a breeze, baggage claim conveniently located. The problem is the location. It is well, well, well out of town, so your options are an expensive taxi (which is an ordeal because you have to pay the base rate at the airport, not as part of the taxi fee - go figure..) or the KLIA Express. The first night, we took the taxi, which was over an hour drive and 70 ringget. Going back, I took the express train for half the time and half the price - do this! The only downside on the departure portion is that there was very little to do except for look at high end stores.

36. San Francisco, CA (4), 6, 6, 4, 5, 6, 6, 5.50 (27) Another of those mid-sized airports with nothing bad to say, but nothing that blew me away.

37. London Heathrow, UK (4), 8, 5, 3, 7, 6,
#31:  Male International Airport, Maldives#31:  Male International Airport, Maldives#31: Male International Airport, Maldives

Our tiny island hopper flight
4, 5.50 (28) Heathrow. Hmmm. Always mixed feelings. For the size, it is impressive - lots to do, efficient, and easy to get into town using the tube. However, every single time I've gone, customs has been a nightmare and they always seem to keep the temperature hovering around 95 degrees...

38. Cincinatti, OH (6), 6, 6, 5, 6, 4, 5, 5.33 (29) A decent transfer airport in the middle of the country. Nothing bad to say, nothing impressive.

39. Philadelphia, PA (10), 6, 3, 5, 6, 7, 4, 5.17 (30) To arrive - yes. Easy, efficient, very accessible. Transfer? Mixed feelings, and usually towards the low end. It is a very large airport with very little moving walk ways or other assisting devices to move through the airport.

40. Ataturk, Istanbul, Turkey (3), 6, 5, 6, 4, 5, 5, 5.17 (NR) Confusing signage with regards to getting your visa on arrival - a dual system you have to go through, meaning you have to wait in two very long lines, and the staff barely know how to smile. On departures, lots of options.

41. Stansted, UK (2), 5, 5, 7, 5, 4, 5, 5.17 (32)
#35:  Kuala Lumpur International Airport#35:  Kuala Lumpur International Airport#35: Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Elevator to the Express train to town
Very small budget airline airport far from London. Catching a train there was relatively straight forward, but a long ride.

42. Prague, Czech (2), 5, 4, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5.17 (NR) Medium sized airport, far out of town.

43. St. Louis, MO (3), 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 4, 5.00 (33) Medium sized airport, needs to work on cleanliness

44. Skavsta, Sweden (1), 6, 6, 6, 5, 2, 5, 5.00 (34) Small budget airline airport extremely far from Stockholm - early morning bus ride does not bring back fond memories. And while you basically in a large barn like structure like cattle to be herded onto the plane, the terminal was actually kind of nice.

45. Newark, NJ (2), 6, 5, 5, 4, 5, 5, 5.00 (35) Efficient. But the rest is middle of the road...

46. Madrid, Spain (2), 2, 2, 6, 8, 3, 8, 4.83 (NR) Beautiful airport that I was ready to sing songs about... until I realized how large and inconvenient it was. The gates are located far from the main terminal; while this works for Orlando or KL where the monorail systems are practically right outside the gate, you find yourself walking for seemingly miles and up and down giant escalators before you even find the train system back to the terminal. That was an unexpected, and disappointing, surprise for such a beautiful place.

47. Villa Int'l Airport, Maldives (2), 1, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4.83 (NR) Tiny, and I mean tiny, airport on its own island. Friendly staff, but you don't have to stay here long anyway because paradise is just a boat ride away

48. JFK, NY (10?), 6, 6, 4, 4, 5, 4, 4.83 (36) I thought this one would move up after my Emirates flight experience - the Emirates business class lounge was incredible of course. Since I had always previously transferred through here and have mixed feelings, I thought checking in would be a nightmare, but it was surprisingly easy, with efficient security lines and easy gate access, enough to do. So why did this not move up? I almost forgot that when I arrived in April, after a long delayed flight, I waited downstairs in baggage claim forever; first for 20 minutes for my first bag, then another 25 minutes before I finally found the elusive office for lost baggage. I was not the only one from my flight and everyone was surprised I had my first bag. Therefore, we knew the baggage had arrived, but where was it? Oh, just sitting in the heavy rain for 40 minutes because... why? I got my backpack and it was completely soaked. Doesn't inspire a lot of trust in the ground staff, does it.

49. Panama City, Panama (2), 4, 6, 4, 4, 5, 5, 4.67 (37) Located fairly far from the city, little to do, and unpleasant staff.

50. Chicago, IL (20?), 9, 4, 3, 2, 4, 6, 4.67 (38) Generally, a very efficient airport with lots to do, but there have been many times that I've been through here and had to deal with the most unpleasant staff in all my years of flying, including one girl who walked away from me after they gave away my seat on my flight during Christmas. All these years later, I still remember pleasant Timothy at United because he was such an anomaly.

51. Zurich, Swiss (1), 4, 5, 5, 4, 4, 6, 4.67 (39) Beautiful ride in, but it seems beyond far from the city. I didn't like the
#53:  Rome, Italy#53:  Rome, Italy#53: Rome, Italy

not much to write about...
large barn set up of the airport which echoed all around me or the system to start boarding your flight.

52. LAX (32?), 7, 3, 5, 4, 2, 6, 4.50 (31) Keeps dropping. I flew through here countless times while I lived in California and maybe I just had the system down. But now that I'm visiting as a guest, I can see the inconvenience of it. The expense. The hassle. I always say to my colleagues in the middle east how beeping is offensive to Americans unless there is a strong reason; standing down waiting for my bus at LAX and all i hear are horns sets my teeth on edge. The traffic is insane, so nobody in their right mind will pick you up or drop you off, parking at long term is ridiculously expensive, baggage takes forever, and if you have a transfer here, good friggin luck!

53. Rome, Italy (1), 4, 4, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4.50 (40) Just arrived here early morning. Seemed like a dirty place. Hot guys though!

54. Milan, Italy (1), 4, 5, 6, 4, 3, 5, 4.50 (41) The airport itself was not terrible, but oh my god
#55:  Denizli-Cardak Airport, Turkey#55:  Denizli-Cardak Airport, Turkey#55: Denizli-Cardak Airport, Turkey

This probably deserves to be ranked higher on the list
was it far from town! And the staff not very helpful.

55. Denizli, Turkey (2), 1, 4, 6, 8, 2, 5, 4.33 (NR) Another small airport another airport way the heck out of town. The airport is called Denizli, but is in the middle of nowhere and a good 40 minutes from town - why? There are only two gates: arrival and departure. Done. It was kind of neat to see, but a little overwhelming. Oh, and this was my first experience with floor toilets, but man did I have to go. Fortunately, the staff and people were so extremely friendly! The conductor on one of the two buses to town(s) watched out for me and made sure I got where i needed to go, even though he spoke no English. In retrospect, I think the next time around, this airport may score much higher because despite its isolation, it was a fairly pleasant experience.

56. Dulles, DC (4), 7, 4, 2, 3, 3, 6, 4.17 (42) Big airport, far outside the city. Fine for transfers, not good for arrivals. Not my favorite place - I avoid if at all possible.

57. Phoenix, AZ (2), 5, 4,
#14:  Dubai International Airport#14:  Dubai International Airport#14: Dubai International Airport

Boarding business class on the A380
4, 4, 6, 2, 4.17 (43) Medium sized airport that I only visited twice years ago, so maybe my assessment is outdated. But I can still remember the strong smell of cigarettes in the terminal...

58. Atlanta, GA (17?), 7, 5, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3.67 (45) Busiest airport in the world and if you fly through here, you know it. The layout for such a large airport is actually not too bad - multiple terminals parallel to each other and connected by an underground train system. Pretty easy to figure out, with plenty to do. But this is the south and the staff are surprisingly rude, it seems perpetually dirty, and every single time I've flown through here, our plane would sit on the tarmac for 45 minutes to wait our turn to take off.

59. Dallas, TX (11?), 5, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 3.33 (46) Shudder.... I hate the layout, I hate lack of moving walkways for such a large space, I hate the inconvenient train system, and the last few times, I hate the staff - beyond unfriendly. Avoid at all costs!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



17th October 2014

Interesting that you picked Helsinki for #1...
It seemed rather sterile to me when I was there in April 2013. I'll have to pay more attention when I'm there in April 2015...overnighting at the attached Hilton between connecting flights. I agree that Atlanta and Dallas should be at the bottom, as should LAX, Newark and JFK. I'm surprised you haven't been to more Asian airports, many of which rank near to top of any travelers list. So I expect to read more blogs about your travels to that region.
18th October 2014

Airport rankings
What a great blog. I wish other people would write about this topic. i'm glad to see Detroit near the top of your list. It is a fantastic airport. I'm always happy when I can fly through that one. As for Charlotte, I agree it is comfortable but I rarely get out of there on time. Usually delayed because of thunderstorms. It is too the point I'll do anything to fly into another city. Chicago always has long delays for all kinds of reasons. I generally have pretty good luck in Atlanta. Will you be in D.C. in the next few weeks? If so we should try to get together. Really enjoyed your airport reviews.
18th October 2014

Thank you!
Thank you so much for your terrific response. I have not been thru Charlotte in about ten years, but was often through there when going home during college, so it is interesting to hear your perspective. Detroit is the most amazing because about 15 years ago, i hated it but they remodeled it and it is one the places I TRY to route through. I just flew through Atlanta in April and had the same experience. I won't be in DC for a while, unfortunately, but when I am, I'll let you know! :)

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb