Qatar


Advertisement
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
March 8th 2006
Published: March 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi again family and friends! I flew (just under an hour) from Abu Dhabi to Qatar, a tiny Arab country half the size of Wales on a peninsular of the Persian (Arabian) Gulf with a population of about 800 000 people, of which only about 200 000 are local Qataris and the rest expats. Martin met me at the airport. He is a kiwi cousin who has been working here 3 months and will be joined by his wife Mar... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ItIt
It

Martin is Cost Manager for this project and has a budget in the region of 31 billion dollars. It is one of about 50 projects he has happening at the moment. It is a scale beyond our imagination but possible in an oil and gas rich nation.
This is obviously a watered areaThis is obviously a watered area
This is obviously a watered area

The gardener is weeding the grass. Alongside him this beautiful chap was just free grazing. He seemed to have the run of the place and there was nothing to stop him going out of the centre and onto the main road.
Next stop the swimming poolNext stop the swimming pool
Next stop the swimming pool

Exercise for two youngsters.
They were quite keen to get outThey were quite keen to get out
They were quite keen to get out

This area is part of a complex that caters for every need of this vast number of horses; feeding, shoeing, breeding, training, vet, showing, etc.
HosedownHosedown
Hosedown

The new Al Shaqab will have hospital, quarantine, lab, as well as the public riding school, breeding facility, dressage and showjumping and marathon facilities, both indoor and outdoor arenas, a private facility for the Emir, museum, hotel, Equestrian Club, plus all the admin, maintenance and staff accomodation areas. It is huge!
Goodbye from this little guy...the last horse photo.Goodbye from this little guy...the last horse photo.
Goodbye from this little guy...the last horse photo.

I could show you heaps more horse photos but you've probably had enough. My blogs will always feature horses wherever I go but this one has got to take the cake. It was a magic afternoon wandering around in the tranquility of this place amongst these brilliant animals. Thanks so much Martin, this is a highlight for me.
Construction site at Education City across the road from Al ShaqabConstruction site at Education City across the road from Al Shaqab
Construction site at Education City across the road from Al Shaqab

Might not look much here but this is enormous.
Are we at The Simpsons place?Are we at The Simpsons place?
Are we at The Simpsons place?

This is how the construction workers are transported around. It reminded me at times so much of visiting Emma in Guatemala and going to school with her on one of these.
Orry The Oryx outside The Sheraton HotelOrry The Oryx outside The Sheraton Hotel
Orry The Oryx outside The Sheraton Hotel

Orry is the Royal Mascot for the Asian Games which are being held in Doha in December this year. The oryx is the national animal of Qatar and although locally extinct there are breeding programs in place with the aim being to introduce them back into the wild. The oryx is thought to be what the unicorn originated from because it looks as though it has one horn from side on. There were Orrys all over the city on big banners showing all the sports for the games.
In contrast to The SheratonIn contrast to The Sheraton
In contrast to The Sheraton

Martin gave me a taste of both sides of this "city of contrast"; from the bar at the top of The Sheraton to a little local Indian restaurant that he likes. We had a huge meal for $4 and it was delicious. The waiter wasn't much of a photographer though!
Martin is renting a furnished apartment until Mary arrives later this week.Martin is renting a furnished apartment until Mary arrives later this week.
Martin is renting a furnished apartment until Mary arrives later this week.

His building is the one on the right and his apartment is on the top floor (11 stories), the balconies you can see on the left side are the 2 bedrooms.
The contrast again...this kept hitting me constantly in DohaThe contrast again...this kept hitting me constantly in Doha
The contrast again...this kept hitting me constantly in Doha

Huddled below the towers is a little community living in 3rd world type huts. I watched people in there going about there business like cleaning teeth and washing outside the covered parts. I wonder what they think of this progress in their city. They will soon all be demolished. I don't know where they go.
Looking out the entrance to the apartment buildingLooking out the entrance to the apartment building
Looking out the entrance to the apartment building

Goes out to a dirt road, water tank to right.



9th March 2006

Keep them coming
Wow Dee; you're so disciplined! Your photographs and commentary are so interesting - keep them coming. It sure looks hot and dusty. Going back to your S'pore blog - so glad you enjoyed the place and by the way, the smelly fruit, the 'king' of all fruits according to the locals, is durian. Looking forward to the next instalment. Take care, Susan
9th March 2006

You've crammed in so much already - amazing!! Must be that wacky baccy that's keeping you going at such a pace!! But I think I prefer the gold souk to the livestock - at least I could bring something back from there :) Great to hear all going so well.
12th March 2006

Great stuff! Doha is where my father died in front of the Emirs palace along the water front. You have been able to see more of Qatar than I did but I now need to go again because there is so much to see! Go Dee! Awesome pictures.
19th March 2006

Equine
the photo's are wonderful - wish We were there !! love M

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb