The middle bit of training...


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
July 30th 2009
Published: August 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

30 July 2009

Morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

Having finished Cabin Services the previous day, we went straight into the Safety and Emergency Procedures (SEP). We learnt how to handle ourselves, the passengers and the aircraft in a variety of emergency situations including ditching on water, lavatory fires and ground evacuations. We also learned how to deal with situations such as an incapacitated pilot, unruly passengers and the legalities surrounding the carriage of special passengers. Did you know that a maximum of 6 Falcons are allowed on board?? No, I didn’t either...

One of the highlights of the SEP module was the fire fighting practical. After the first of three SEP exams we piled into the crew bus and were taken out into the desert to a fire training centre where we all practiced putting out an oven fire and a toilet fire. At the end the instructor showed us how quickly a fire can get out of control and it was incredible to see just how quickly the room filled with thick smoke. All the theory in the world couldn’t do a practical demonstration justice.

The second part of the module was training on the Airbus A320. The A320 is a single aisle aircraft that flies mainly short haul routes with seating for around 140 passengers. We soon found ourselves back in the A320 mock-up where we were taught how to open, close, arm and disarm the door, operate the overwing exits and had to learn the evacuation commands by heart and shout them as loud as we can for the passengers.

The design of aircraft and standards of crew training are designed to ensure all passengers can be evacuated within 90 seconds of the evacuation commencing. Again another exam followed before we started training on the A330 aircraft. This is the biggest aircraft we can fly at this stage with room for up to 300 passengers. The A330 is used on the Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester routes, so I hope to be flying back to England’s Green and Pleasant Land soon. The final exam duly followed before the real day of reckoning was dawning...

...the practical exam!! This could last anywhere between 90 minutes and 5 hours and the examiner tested our knowledge from all parts of the module before giving us situations to act out on the door simulators. All the groups did fine in the practical exams and we enjoyed a hard earned day off the following day before starting the third section of training.

Having passed the SEP module, we are now licensed to fly on Airbus A320 family aircraft (A319, A320 and A321) and the Airbus A330-200 and A330-300. Across the five different types of aircraft there are four different types of doors and we need to be fully proficient in the operation of each type, so was a lot of hard work at the start, but we managed it. In total we had to also learn nine full emergency drills word for word for the various door types and situations as well as learning the location of all the safety equipment onboard the aircraft. Needless to say we were all very glad to finish this module.

Aside from the training, we have not been out much since starting SEP due to the ever shrinking arrival payment and payday being a mere speck on the horizon! Oh yeah, and the training too!! Our roster for August was published, with mixed reviews from people. I am personally extremely happy with mine and got a total of seven flights to Sri Lanka (x2), Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Dubai, Maldives and Cebu in the Philippines. We will have two observer flights where we are not part of the official crew, but we watch the crew and assist where required. We still don’t know where these flights will be yet, but typically will be Dubai or India or somewhere short.

Onwards to the First Aid, Grooming and all that good stuff...



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



29th August 2009

Medicals in Doha
Hey im enjoying your blob.... Anyhow after approval and coming to Doha... What medical tests did you still have to undergo in Doha, tests like? Is it hard?

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb