Hanging around Doha


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
September 20th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

If you didn't know already, I'll provide a quick update on my recent activities. I packed in my job having decided I'd regret not travelling before settling down; those who've known me for a while know I've been considering this for far too long before actually deciding to do it. I handed my notice at the end of April, rented my house by the end of July, finished work at the end of August and set-off on the 14th September for one year's worth of travelling solo. The plan was to visit Qatar, UAE and Oman, India, South East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, America and Canada, although it may well be subject to change. Now I'm away, I've never felt less stress, more content and happy...perhaps at finally overcoming the fear associated with leaving my comfortable easy life and following my heart.

So what's happened, after a quick two day rest with friends in Dubai, my trip started in Doha, Qatar, where I realised that there really isn't that much to do. Luckily I'd been suitably warned by Matt who's lived out there for just over a year. We made the best of things, exploring the desert and almost featureless country by car (sweating buckets due a faulty air-con unit in his Mustang), wakeboarding (great fun although it invariably ended with a spectacular face-plant), a day at the driving range. The country's quite bizarre, because you can spend an entire day without meeting anyone to talk to. The whole population moves around in air-conditioned cars and all the hotel bars (which are really quite plush) are empty during Ramadan. Smoking, eating, drinking, even chewing gum are all illegal during the day in Ramadan. On arrival, I did manage some indoor drinking...3 litres of cordial pre-made with local tap water marked the start of an interesting medical adventure!!! More to come soon...

As a prelude, the best bits have been the jeep smashing adventure-challenge experience in Oman (take it from me, you don't see half of what makes a country until you get involved in the local bureaucracy), getting over the culture shock in Delhi, experiencing the serenity and friendliness of the mountainous tibetan exile headquarters in McLeod Ganj.

For photos from Qatar, see - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26173&l=2eed1&id=604001334

Take care everyone. I look forward to reading any updates on events or any hellos from back home.

Stix - congratulations on impending fatherhood. I'm delighted for you. It is really cheap here and there's so much to explore. I was originally here for six weeks, but I think I'll extend for longer than that. Not sure how long yet... Met quite a few people, although no-one who I'd like as anything other than a friend. I may be away from home, but I haven't become any less picky. I don't actually miss any form of company whilst I'm away. I'm actually quite content in my own company, which I haven't felt for a long time. The benefits of no stress and every day being a new adventure. :o) At the moment, I'm spending a lot of time with an attractive German girl, who's quite possibly led the most interesting life I've ever known...Gave up heroin and drink at the age of 15, aced all her exams with minimal attendance and study, was a social worker, now a freelance TV journalist, taught english in Zanzibar and is a practicing Buddhist.

Tim - I'm sure Duck will not get away lightly. I look forward to seeing the photos if I'm not there to witness it first hand.

Duck - All the best for it mate. I'm sure it will be a blast. Sorry I can't make it. Same goes for Ed's.

Toe - Yeah, I was rather busy in the run up to departing. It all kind of came upon me at once, sorting things out whilst I was desperately clinging to the last of my old life in the UK, i.e. parties and compulsive socialising. Been away three weeks and already feel chilled, balanced as opposed to manic, and conent in my own company.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb