Salalah, Oman


Advertisement
Oman's flag
Middle East » Oman » Dhofar » Salalah
November 13th 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 17.0139, 54.0923

We've arrived in Oman for two port days separated by another sea day. Today, we left early for our shore excursion to see the sights around Salalah. Leaving the port, the bus had to stop for a security check. An officer came on board to check each person's landing card. They had been given out by ship's personnel as we disembarked. Before we got very far, just after passing customs and security, one couple realized they were on the wrong bus. Although we pulled off the road and the guide contacted his supervisor, we were not allowed to wait for the other bus to catch up. We had to go back to the ship and drop them off before starting again. Arriving at the checkpoint for the second time, our guide was able to talk to the officer at security and convince him that he did not have to come back on the bus for another check of everyone's landing card.

The group is small again, 18 passengers and one Seaborne staff member as Tour Escort on a big bus. I like the way they do this so people are not packed on. The guide was Mohammed who was really interesting and talked freely about Oman, his government, the religion, and his family. His English was good, but I heard from another passenger that their guide wasn't very polished. Oman has been open for tourism for only a short time compared to the other countries in the region.

The tour took us first to the Al Husn Palace for photos. Unfortunately, it was hard to get a good view or photos since the sun was behind the palace gates. The palace is a huge complex of buildings with many of them looking like a large apartment building complex—only two stories high. It is one of the palaces that the sultan uses when he is in Salalah. The sultan was born in Salalah and stays here often.

The next stop was The Museum of the Frankincenseland. I bought a bottle of frankincense essential oil there that was about two-thirds of the price I pay at home. Seems to be the same thing. Frankincense comes from a tree that was first grown in this area of what is now southern Oman. It is the hardened sap of the tree. Harvesters make small cuts in the tree where the sap oozes out. In three weeks, it is rock hard and ready to be collected. It has a high oil content and burns easily. Recently, people have found that it can be grown in Somalia and Yemen, as well. At the time of Jesus' birth, frankincense would have been more valuable than gold.

Next stop was the Al Husn souq for some shopping. Mohammed took us to one of the vendors to see the frankincense. He showed us how it is burned with charcoal, and the vendor passed out samples of the perfume made with it. I bought another bottle of frankincense oil that was much cheaper than what was for sale at the museum, but this does not say essential oil on it. I think it must be a much weaker, diluted version. The man selling there was dressed in Western-style clothing wearing a white, short-sleeved shirt with black trousers. The woman working with him was dressed in full black dishdasha with only a slit for her eyes.

After getting back on the bus again, we continued to Al Taqah Palace for a short stop. We climbed all around, up and down stairs to see the 19th century property.

Last stop was the archaeological site of Sumhuram. While there we saw a herd of camels languidly moving beside the lagoon. They looked much more regal than when we saw them at Petra being led around and dressed up in bright blankets. Mohammed said that there are no wild camels; they all belong to someone. The camels are allowed to roam foraging for food and finding water without a shepherd, and they know how to find their own way home at the end of the day.

Back on the ship in the afternoon, we had time for lunch and a nice nap. We had dinner in the Colonnade for the first time which was quite nice. Table service with three courses like in the dining room, but in a less formal style that moved more quickly, too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb