Oman - Oasis of Wadi Shab


Advertisement
Oman's flag
Middle East » Oman » Dakhliya » Nizwa
April 28th 2008
Published: May 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Key Perth Green about to do a cliff diveKey Perth Green about to do a cliff diveKey Perth Green about to do a cliff dive

see the guy behind him on the higher cliff
Wadi Shab
'Wadi' means 'dry river bed' (Wadi Shab is actually a wet river bed, a beautiful emerald green oasis in the desert).

Wadi Shab is wadi in Oman and located between the capital Muscat and the town Sur, Oman.

It has at least seven pools of emerald green water and is studded with boulders. One of the pools is in a cave where light streams in dramatically from above and there are fantastic echoes heard when one swims in it.

Eventhough all guidebooks say you need a 4WD to get there...you can easily reach it in a regular car...thanks to the backbreaking road-construction (courtesy of practically free labor from India/Pakistan/Afghanistan).

These workers situation is so bad, and the government does not do anything to alleviate the situation. Most of these workers flock from the subcontinent (poor farmers/laborers) to the 'gulf' with hopes for a better life for their families they have left behind back home. There is a huge racket going on in bringing these unwary, naive workers to these coutries: they are promised big salaries so they end up selling all their land/house/farm back home in India, take out a big loan to cover the cost of their visas/ plane ticket to come to places like Oman and U.A.E.

After they get to these gulf countries reality sets in:
-they are not paid even half of the salary they were promised
-their passport is taken up by their bosses so they can't leave to go back home.
-they've sold everything they own back home in India -so going home w/o any money is not even an option for many.
-three months worth of salaries are held back by their bosses so they are not tempted to flee the worksite.
-while the rest of the country takes a break from 1pm-4pm everyday (hottest time in the desert countries)...these construction workers are made to work thru the intense intense intense heat. (it really felt like i was stepping into an oven everytime i went outside of the car even).
-many of these workers often faint from heat exhaustion, and basic medical attention is not even a consideration.
-they live in housing quarters of 7-8 guys in a room no bigger than most of our living rooms and still barely make enough to send back home to their wives and children back home in India.

And Why?
Especially a nation like India, with all this brain power would be forced to go build roads in the middle of nowhere for the thankless Gulf countries?

I'm telling you...its time we seriously discussed the idea of a 'One child per household in places like India/Pakistan'. Less mouths to feed means less stress on the head of the family to kill themselves in a desert environment struggling everyday to make ends meet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Does anyone know what this script is saying?Does anyone know what this script is saying?
Does anyone know what this script is saying?

Pw and I think it says "allah u akbar" - "god is great". anyone know?? Mr. Green and i decide to cheese in front of it anyway.


19th August 2008

The waterfall.
If u swim to the end then hike a bit then swim through the river again u can get to a opening in the rock face about 30cm wide and if u manage to swim through it theres cave with a water fall... Another note in regards to "with all this brain power would be forced to go build roads in the middle of nowhere for the thankless Gulf countries" ...mislead by their own wealthy people back home is the impression i got when speaking to these workers.... just something worth thinking about b4 pointing the finger.
20th August 2008

Yes. You've got a point. In extreme cases like this...the change happens/ starts with the oppressed and not the oppressor. Laborers in India need to stop tricking their own brethren...no doubt about it. Sadly...there will always be the greedy without an honest conscience in this world. And for those types, jilting their own mother would not be an issue. :( Gulf Countries themselves do not make the matter worse...but they could at the LEAST better the working conditions of these workers...that was what i was trying accomplish here. Thanks for your comment.
26th July 2009

the writing on the rock
The writing on the rock in your picture says Pakistan (although it is slightly misspelt)
31st January 2010

lol
well, just wanted 2 inform u that the script on that kind of rock in the last pic is simply "PAKISTAN"..nothin 2 do with allhu akbar....by the way, wadi shab is really great...i also got many pix over there...
15th February 2010

Arabic Script
This is written "PAKISTAN" in Urdu language the script is very much similar to Arabic.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb