Lebanon's ancient historical legacy


Advertisement
Middle East » Lebanon
March 25th 2009
Published: August 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

When you sit in an ancient throne of a four thousand year old Phoenician kingdom, what sort of thoughts should you contemplate? What about when you cross the drawbridge that leads into a Crusader castle that is nearly seven hundred years old, what emotions should be elicited? Most especially, when you walk along the ring of a Roman racetrack that is two thousand years old, what sort of sights an... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




14th August 2009

nice pics
Nice pics!!! Hope you made a safe trip to Taiwan. Are you enjoying teaching and the place as well?
14th September 2009

What thoughts should you think?
I haven't had the pleasure of visiting any ruins yet but, when I visit museums I always wonder what the people who made or used the artefact were like. Our lives are such a small amount of time in the scale of human history. Ancient artefacts and ruins give us such a connection to those people whose stories were too insignificant to get into the history books. For example, when you sat in the throne you had a connection with a maid whose job it may have been to clean it regularly not to mention the royal who sat there pondering important political decisions. If you visit a racetrack that would give you some level of connection to a page or servant who tended the horse. What of the slave who put that particular slab in place in the Roman road? I hope in a thousand years when somebody finds a ruin of my house they will pause and wonder what I was like.
31st July 2010

Lebanon is fantastic! Glad to see you saw other sites, I saw everything possible in 10 days and it was a dream. Again great pics. Tyre (Sur), by the sea especially, and Baalbek both are some of my favorite ancient sites in the world most especially due to the fact no one else was ever around? A far cry from say Pompeii, Acropolis or Giza. There's nothing more magical or mystical than having an ancient ruin site to oneself! Any plans to visit the Pacific? I'm from Tahiti, currently living in Spain. Plenty to see here too I especially recommend the Alhambra; a definite must see!!!
1st August 2010

travel destinations
Hmm, you've listed a lot of good places to see, but I'm certainly open to seeing other exotic areas. Spain is full of a lot of great places, and the next time I come through Europe I just may have to see if I can stop by Alhambra! Thanks for the good suggestion.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.108s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb