Redefining Iran


Advertisement
Middle East » Iran
July 27th 2013
Published: August 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

My palms are sweating as I nervously wait in line at immigration, thinking about the $500 I spent on the visa to come here, and the amount of hassle I had to go through. Will it all be a waste? How many difficulties am I going to have here too? Finally, it’s my time to step up. He takes my passport, looks at me and cocks his head. ‘Eeengland?’ he asks. ‘Yes’, I reply, smiling and trying ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




11th August 2013

Another one for my bucket list...
...one I'd not even considered before!
11th August 2013

I'd love to visit Iran
Your writing is spectacular and the photos grand. You've painted word pictures that are sure to please. I do believe your blog will get a few more people interested in visiting Iran. Thanks for sharing your observations.
11th August 2013

Many Thanks
I thoroughly enjoyed your blog about Iran, along with the photos. I would like to thank you for such an in-depth narrative and exploration of your thoughts and feelings. How true that the image of Iran is and continues to be so awful--certainly in the US. I have often thought that we scorn or fear what we do not know and do not bother to find out. How wonderful to learn more about the country and the people and to find out they are not the monsters politics makes them out to be. One question (maybe two): do you speak Farsi? If not, did the people you stayed overnight with speak English?
12th August 2013

Thanks! No I only managed to learn a few basic phrases in Farsi, but everyone I stayed with overnight spoke good English!
12th August 2013

Fantastic blog!
Really enjoyed this blog Ross - it's a place we know so little about, thanks for sharing your experiences. Safe travels! :)
12th August 2013

Such a lovely blog
Sounds like you've had a great time. I've always wanted to visit Iran but and even more so after reading your blog. I found your attempt to shatter the stereotypes towards Iranians especially interesting since my country, the Philippines, lost to Iran for the gold medal in a basketball game and there has been some sort of animosity to the Iranians among a few Filipinos. Great read. Hope to see more of your writings in the future!
12th August 2013

Touched by the Middle East
This blog beautifully encapsulates why the Middle East is my favourite region in the world. The hospitality is without peer and the perception for those who have never travelled there is far removed from reality. The media report one bad incident about a Middle Eastern city and people wrongly extrapolate it to apply to the whole country or even the region. The idea that guests are friends/gifts from God is universal throughout the Middle East - whether that be Iraq, Jordan, Syria or Yemen. I hope you can return to explore the region further and be touched by more of the wonderful hospitality. Thank you for posting such a superb blog.
12th August 2013

Bought a tear to my eye!
One of the best blogs yet Ross, truly inspirational and moving and is an amazing witness of what is a great country! You should think about going professional you would do good changing the opinions of the world and teaching us not to judge. Really enjoyed hearing about your experiences! Thank you
12th August 2013

Thanks Soph!
12th August 2013

excellent post
I have read your blog twice now and have all but decided to go to Iran this November. I am going to be in Dubai any way and Iran seems like a logical next step. Thanks for your blog-really helpful...
12th August 2013

Nice - I heard about a boat that goes a few times a week from Sharjah next to Dubai to Bandar Lengeh in the south of Iran, or there's cheap flights from Sharjah airport to Shiraz too...
22nd August 2013

Profoundly beautiful observations of a misunderstood people...
as distinct from their government. I hope you are right that freedom will eventually come to those that so longingly look for it. I would love to visit someday, but am still reticent. It's interesting that Rick Steves' only travelogue outside of Europe was Iran...he portrayed a similar story as yours.
11th September 2013

visa approved
I have my visa invitation letter waiting in Dubai and have booked my flight. Thanks again
12th September 2013

Great! Hope you have a good time - let me know how you get on!
11th October 2013
The 'Real Persepolis' at Garmeh

Persepolis Football Club
Actually the person who has written this, is a Persepolis Football Club huge fan. Nothing to do with Persepolis ruins I guess :) I enjoyed your photos and writings by the way
26th November 2013

Back from Iran
I am now back in Canada after my trip in the Middle East and Ethiopia. The Iran part was a great experience and I would recommend it to everyone- the people could not have been nicer- Where else do the immigration people at the airport shake your hand and invite you to stay longer?
3rd December 2013

Ah amazing! Glad you had a great time!
15th May 2014

i read your writing about Iran, thanks for sharing it truly while ignoring media propaganda against Iran. Best wishes
15th May 2014

Thanks, glad you liked it!
17th May 2014

especially liked the conclusion part :)
I have shared your blog in my facebook wall as I have some friends from other countries and I hope your writing help them to think different about my country. When I am outside of Iran, the first impression after knowing I am from Iran is shocked eyes with a series of weird questions which really hurts! Thanks once again for continuing the circle of kindness and I am sure that your Persian friends whom hosted you, are also quite happy with the style of your writing and sharing your feelings. P.S. you were in some places over here which I haven't seen them yet!
29th June 2014

Brazilian in Iran in 2015
I can't say how excited and curious I am now to visit Iran next January.

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb