Tabriz and onwards


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran
March 7th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So inspite of my near undie staining thoughts at the turkish iranian border we passed through unhindered. The Iranian customs didnt even check our bags, dang if only we had decided to smuggle that fifteen litres of Jack Daniels across the border.

On the Iranian side I was greeted my snowcapped peaks leading down to a small border town in the valley of the mountains. It really felt like the start of a new adventure. I was pretty pumped. We scored a bus ride to Trabzon. Firstly our new friend Feriboz insisted on shouting us lunch, vein were our efforts to give him some cash.

Upon arrival we were 'recieved' by Feriboz's mate, Hussein. Possibly the most erratic but kindest man I have ever met. We loaded up heaps of gear in his small sedan and I drove with him to his sisters house, just down the road. Next we fast walked back to the bus station where he picked up Spectacles bike (incidently he seemed to have mistaken 'Kris' with Dimitri. So Kris is now forever named Dimitri- spread the word whoever reads this), and carried it down the road. Somewhat perplexed we picked hauled the rest of the gear struggling to keep up with him.

Our man Hussein then gave us a lift to the hotel. Singing and laughing along the way. He enquired as to our desire for Whiskey, a definate glint in his eye. Being of a like mind we heartly answered in the positive!

Our new best friend dropped us off at the hotel with much care and happiness, we agreed to meet the next day. Slightly bemused at the last hour or so Dimitri and I went to sleep with light hearts.

Next day we met Hussein in the morning and got some good advice off him. Our next meeting was with Dr Ali Matin (a friend of Bizza's). This man is truly a super guy. Keen to imigrate to Australia he has become pretty much fluent in English over the last four years purely through self study. Making my attemtps to learn Russian rather feeble. With Ali we checked out some of Tabriz's sights, had great talks on regligion and the meaning of life and were treated to a smashing lunch. Mmmmmm food.

Pretty much had a great afternoon with our new friend, whom i truly wish to stay in touch with!

In the evening we met with Hussein again and retrieved our bikes. Had dinner and slept, pschyed to get riding again.

(as a postscript in Rasht a few days later some arsehole stole my small canon camera, so there is a bit of a gap in the photos here. If your out there you bastard im coming for you)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb