FIkardou: abandoned village of Cyprus


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Nicosia
April 2nd 2017
Published: April 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today's I want to tell you about the village, where the houses are older than some countries.

FIkardou is a small beautiful village located about 40 km southwest of Nicosia (Cyprus). Kalo Chorio and Lazanias are two traditional villages located in the neighborhood. FIkardou was declared an ancient monument and carefully restored to preserve the 18th century houses with their remarkable woodwork.

My very first impression ofFikardou was that feeling of calmness, peace, tranquility this village creates. There were untold stories behind those old locked doors of abandoned houses. Beautiful flowers, breathtaking views of blossoming almond trees and the untroubled surroundings made you want to stay there forever.

It is believed that the name of the village was originated from the greek "figa andron" (den of fugitives) from the fugitives who were recruited by two main clans who were in control of the region between 400 AD-800 AD (http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/rural/villages/item/2454-fikardou). There is also a historical research which suggests another version of the name's origin. This version points at Thomas Fikardos who is believed to be a patriarch of the family associated with the feudal history of the village (Wikipedia).

Fikardou was declared Ancient monument in 1978 and won Europa Nostra award in 1987 (Europa Nostra is a European organization created with the goal of protecting the cultural heritage in Europe) . The Department of Antiquities turned two houses of the village into the rural museums, where visitors can see exhibited items reflecting the life of past years. Unfortunately, on the day we were visiting the village, the museums were closed and we missed our chance to get the "touch" of the past.

A few cypriot movies were shot in Fikardou. One of the most popular series called Aigoia Fouxia shows the life of Cypriots 100 years ago.

Besides a cat, a rooster and a few tourists we met the owner of the only cafe-restaurant-tavern in the village Mr. Yiannakos. He confirmed that the village is almost deserted and the current population of the village is around 7 people.

After having our coffee at Yiannakos enjoying the view from the village, it was time to head back to the city routine. However, we are definitely coming back and anyone of you who visits Cyprus shall visit this museum under the open sky.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb