Cyprus & Limassol


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Limassol
April 5th 2019
Published: April 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Limassol 4th April

Our first visit to Cyprus and the city of Limassol, Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean and lies tucked away in the North East corner.

The history of Cyprus goes way back with Richard the Lionheart seizing the island on the way to the Holy Land to do battle with Saladin.

When he left to continue the Crusade he sold the island to the Knights Templar.



Limassol is a city on the southern coast of Cyprus. It’s known for the centuries-old Limassol Castle, home to the Cyprus Medieval Museum and its collection of pottery and tombstones.

On the seafront is the Sculpture Park, with sculptures by Cypriot, Greek and international artists.

To the northeast is the Limassol Archaeological Museum, exhibiting artifacts from the Neolithic to the Roman periods.





As always we didn’t have much time here and with another ship in the dock and shuttles were fairly busy.





The city itself is quite easily accessible with some pedestrianised areas, there are a lot of churches and a cathedral as well as the Castle & Old Carob Mill.



The restored Castle is picturesque (apart from all the people) and the square is the start of the shopping area.





After coffee and a beautiful pastry (yes Georgina - Cakes), an Anarofilo - local to Limassol we did a walk round the town before heading back to a lovely Taverna for fresh baby Calamari and Halloumi.



It would be rude not to enjoy some local produce and of course some Cypriot wine





Cheers


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.46s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb