The Vatican


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
September 5th 2006
Published: September 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Because we had heard about the nasty queues at the Vatican, we decided to arrive bright and early on a weekday. Outside the Vatican, we noticed an extremely horrible line for the Vatican Museum and decided that if we had to choose what we saw of the Vatican because of time constraints it would be St. Peter’s Basilica. And as it turns out this was unfortunately the case.

We really do not know what we can say about the Vatican other than that we were extremely overwhelmed by it. The architecture and the detail of the entire place were just very impressive. And it is also great to be able to see the heart of the Catholic Church. It is overwhelming to think about that being the place where the Popes are chosen, where they live and where most are buried, including St. Peter. And that this amazing place was built, designed, painted and decorated by some of history’s most famous artists.

And during the time we were there the amount of visitors seemed to multiply by some crazy amount and the lines because massive (we’re talking hours here). So when you do go make sure that you are there pretty much at the opening time. I am sure Bianx was not amused by the early start when the alarm went off but I am pretty sure she was happy to have gotten up that early after seeing the lines.

Even if you are not Catholic, I think you cannot help but be moved in someway by this place, especially because of the respectful and humble mood present due to the many believers visiting the place. And everyone there was just as amazed by it all as the next person was.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

MeMe
Me

The Narrow Corridors leading to the top of St Peter’s Basilica. (And this is wide compared to how narrow it gets closer to the top)
Bianx at the Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine ChapelBianx at the Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine Chapel
Bianx at the Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine Chapel

The Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine Chapel guarded by Swiss Guards
Me at the Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine ChapelMe at the Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine Chapel
Me at the Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine Chapel

The Pope’s Entrance to the Sistine Chapel guarded by Swiss Guards


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb