Pope!


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
March 7th 2006
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

alright, i'm a little behind on the blogging-ness.. but i have to get this out before i go on spring break.

i saw the pope last wednesday!

first of all the audience started at 10:30 in the morning. i got there at 9:15 to get a seat and the whole first section of seats was packed. but i was able to get nice aisle seats in the back section (i had heard that aisles are the best because mr. pope mobiles around through all of them). so we waited over an hour for the thing to start. little known fact 1: swiss guards are pretty good looking.

so after endless swiss guard watching, we finally had the main event and seriously had i closed my eyes i probably wouldn't have been able to tell if it was the pope who arrived or justin timberlake. i was really taken aback by the screaming/mob factor. so weird. there were also groups there with colored scarves that they waved around and people were chanting benedetto benedetto and it was more 'basketball game' than i hoped. when bennie came by we were mushed against the aisle wall by the crowd. little known fact 2: the pope is not nearly as scary looking in person, he is actually quite a cute old man who dresses very well.

and the whole ceremony would have lasted like 15 minutes tops. except that it was done in like seven languages and there were shout outs made to at least a hundred different groups of pilgrims. so it was an hour. i got to listen to a little italian. that was good. and his english is very good, the accent was great.

i have tons of pictures of us (my roommates and i, not me and the pope) from around rome, but they would take years to upload, so i'll refrain for right now. college people - look at the facebook.

also, i'm going to spare you the recipe for this week. i don't feel like typing it. but don't think you're getting out so easy next time!


ahem.. yea.. and if you have a place for me to stay in or around belfast.. give me a little shout. thanks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb