Cruise Holiday - Visit to The Vatican - Pope John Paul Creates 32 New Cardinals


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City » Vatican City
June 11th 2005
Published: June 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post


My wife and I set off on a Cruise Holiday on board the Ship ‘Sundream’ and we arrived at Civitavecchia - which is a port fairly close to Rome. Whilst others on the Cruise Holiday went by coach we decided to do the journey by train to reach Rome and take in the day that the late Pope John Paul was creating 32 (I think !) new Cardinals. Having alighted at the train station we made our way to St.Peters Square, an easy journey of just a few hundred yards. Only cost us some 13 Euros for the two of us, whilst the coach fare from the Cruise ship was 52 gbp each - a fantastic saving.

Our plan was to go to St. Peters, see the ‘main event’ and then do all the other ‘ports of call’ in Rome that the Traveller normally goes to. That didn’t happen ! On arrival we had to go through the security screens that were set up at the various entrances to the square. The sight that greeted us was spectacular - flags of all the nations for the creation of the new Cardinals were clearly evident and well displayed.
You could be forgiven for thinking you were attending a sporting event, such was the obvious electric charged atmosphere.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t as packed in the main public area as I had expected - and the large plasma screens at various points allowed you to have a close up view of all the activity and The Pope creating each new Cardinal. Our plan to see all the sights of Rome in a day came unstuck. We were awe struck by the majesty of this spectacle and the time passed so quickly. When the event was over the new Cardinals all came down into the public area - and I have never seen so many Catholic Princes all assembled in one space. I am from England and we suddenly found ourselves in the midst of the Scottish contingent - complete with Kilts, Drum Majors and the Banners and Flags (St.Andrew Cross). Then standing next to me is the newly created Scottish Cardinal (an Irishman !) and the celebrations really got underway. The Cardinal was then swamped by the Media and we were quickly pushed out of the way. We now spent some time looking at all the various group gatherings from the assorted countries in their traditional dress. Shame that this is the one day that I had not got a camera with me !!

It is now lunchtime and we go off and get a Pizza (naturally) - then it is back to St. Peters and we decide to visit the Basilica and take in its mesmerizing beauty. Then into the Vatican Post Office for cards and stamps to send to my Aunt, who would have loved to have attended.

Time is now marching on and we didn’t want to find ourselves waving to our Cruise Ship as it sailed out of Port, so we set off for the train station and made the 50 minute journey back to Civitavecchia. We got back to the Cruise Ship with a half an hour to spare. To see available Cruises : http://www.cruisenow.co.uk

This was a momentous day. Such an event will never occur again in my lifetime.
When I set out on this Cruise Holiday I was not aware that this was all happening, but it is definitely one of the special days I will always remember.

My main reason for going on a Cruise Holiday is that I like to visit as many Countries as I can in the shortest space of time and I find that a day in each Port suits my style.

If you haven’t done a Cruise yet then you should put it on your ‘must do list’. Once you have been on a Cruise you will find that is the only type of Holiday you will want to go on . To find a Cruise:- http://www.cruisenow.co.uk
Flights: - http://www.flightsdirect.info
Holidays: - http://www.travelcheaply.co.uk


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb