Fun with family, friends and flights


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
August 18th 2006
Published: August 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Oh for a Spam fritterOh for a Spam fritterOh for a Spam fritter

Chip shop at Matlock Bath
The rest of our time in Europe proved to be a mixed bag. On the one hand, we shared stories and catching up time with friends and family over enough beers that Claire now knows the difference between lager and ale.

Dave couldn't persuade Claire to try a spam fritter in the old Victorian tourist hang out of Matlock Bath. There was more luck with a packup lunch in the Lakes District, at least until we were frightened by some wildlife jumping out of the bracken. We shared some lovely walks in the Lakes District and the Yorkshire Dales with Dave's family, and were ready to head for Cuba, via three days near Zurich with friends of Claire's.

But...

Like thousands of others, we have been affected by Heathrow airport closing down, and grinding back to a start. A plot by Muslim terrorists to blow up unspecified British Airways flights leaving and coming into Heathrow was uncovered (before anything happened), and the anti-terrorism forces in the UK and USA went into action. First our flight from Heathrow to Zurich was cancelled, and we had to wait another couple of days to leave. This left us only an overnight stop in Zurich. Then we discovered, on arriving in Zurich, that our bikes, boxed up with some of our other gear, had not made the flight with us. Our two boxes are among 22,000 pieces of luggage that British Airways is trying to reunite with owners.

So, because all the leads to the camera and the USB stick are in the bike boxes, no photos of the rest of our European holiday. We'll add them later. Next stop: Cuba!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Lost already...Lost already...
Lost already...

and we havenĀ“t even got to the top of the first hill!


25th August 2006

That's travel: perfect one day - ugh the next!
Dear Dave and Claire, Hope you and bikes are well on your way by now. Enoyed reading about the Fosse Way etc - brought back memories. Looking forward to the next section, love Graham and Monique
27th August 2006

Hope your bikes have turned up by now! And you are well on your way. We are off in four days time will arrive in Brisbane on 13th September Will be seeing Claire's Mum and Dad at Rainbow beach end of September

Tot: 0.769s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 109; dbt: 0.2065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb