Let's go to Moscow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
April 27th 2013
Published: April 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

You know you're on a British train when the carriage is almost empty but someone makes you move as you're in 'their' seat. Well this will be the quietest and most civilized train I'm sure.

Our visas finally got completed on Wednesday with two days to spare!! Our next worry is our transiberia train tickets.. we thought we were really clever booking them ourselves from the Russian site rather than through an agent, but now we've realised all the 'convenient' times we booked we're actually done by Moscow time, there's massive time difference from city to city in Russia and 5 hours in Irtskuk. so when we thought we were arriving early in the morning to spend a whole day in some places it might be relatively different.. but that'll make everything more interesting. The tickets should be at our Moscow hostel- we've booked few accommodation places in advance but Moscow was a bit of a necessity... 16 bed dorm and our tickets are delivered there. after getting them delivered we then read a review 'It would definitely help if the hostel was actually a hostel'

but everything will work out....it'll be like when i was on the bus with Justine's luggage heading to the jungle... with her not on the bus.. when we eventually found each other she realized all i had done was sat on the bus and ate all the cornflakes

We think we're prepared...well apart from the vodka drinking, had my first pre-travel vodka at lunch yesterday with my lab group but kept the evening drinks civilized! I suppose nothing can get too much worse than the lime isca towers.... followed by the nazca lines the next morning- a memorable experience for me but perhaps not so for Justine!!!!!

This trip came quick, in September i put up a poster of the great wall of China saying ' the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step' stuck it up and said to Prativa 'i'm going to the great wall of China next year, i might even leave with a diploma instead of a masters and go sooner!' little did i know my plans all changed..i feel very lucky... and Justine... shes just too lucky and can take holiday whenever she wishes!!!

We weren't sure why we wanted to go to china and see a wall.. i look at all wall everyday out the lab/office window...!! But now its turned into a journey, five weeks in china we decided might get tedious so we thought we'd add an interesting route rather than the normal option to fly! it'll be different, different than anywhere we've traveled before no where is quite like Russia or china i don't think.

So.. hopefully the next blog will be more interesting, with more stories, i'm sure many stories are to be had when your sleeping on a carriage!

Next stop.. breakfast at Chester, think ill put my spork to use and crack open the tinned pineapple!

Advertisement



28th April 2013

Safe travels
Hopefully it will all go well for you both. We are amazed that you have managed to get this far with all the visa problems you had. This morning was slightly worrying when you didn't have your train tickets but glad all sorted now. Happy travelling, love from Mumxx

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb