Shorts or trousers?!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 31st 2012
Published: July 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tues 31st: The rain has come again! Heard it in the night and have woken to dull overcast sky. Have we had the summer? Has the jet stream returned? Urgh... First Mate wants to make a run for home now 'cos what's the point in hanging around for the last few days if weather deteriorating again?? Will have to consult the Captain who may have different view! It's strange isn't it... when you are getting towards the end of a holiday your focus changes and you start looking towards going home... well, I do anyway!

We're moored in Benson, in the boatyard actually as the only place we could find last night. Not supposed to be here so will move on shortly before anyone arrives for the day and there'll be no evidence that we've been here! Also we want to get to Wallingford early to make use of the riverside showers in the campsite again... quite necessary as our friends visiting last night would confirm!

So, we left Oxford on when... difficult to keep track of time... Saturday and started our journey back downstream towards Piccolo Mondo's resting place in Tilehurst... on the last leg now. Found lovely mooring just above Sandford Lock and spent the night and next day there. Family joined us the for day on Sunday, 11 of us in total so quite crowded! We had Tom and Ally and Ally's parents (Malcolm - cleaners found 40p more!), Sarah and Mike and Mike's parents and sister. As they arrived it started raining so all had to cram into the cockpit for drinks, a challenge which everyone rose to, and then over to pub across the river for lunch. Short trip upriver to Oxford for our guests and then, after dropping them off at Sandford, we made our way onwards to Abingdon again for the night, this time staying above the lock - much more peaceful!

More visitors on Monday! Can I just say how lovely it's been to have so many people coming to see us during our trip- really made it special - thanks to you all. So, our neighbour from home Lucy and little Harry arrived in the morning with Helen and (little) Phoebe. Made the cockpit into a playpen for babies which worked remarkably well - they're both on the move now so need to be contained! Moved on to Benson in the afternoon where we met Susy and John and Michele and Tony; drinks aboard then supper in local pub called the Three Horseshoes - it's worth a mention as food was really good!

So that's brought you up to date... and here we are... about to move off from our secret mooring... sshh... biggest decision to make now is whether it's a shorts or trousers day!

Advertisement



31st July 2012

Trousers
Hi Rosie, it has to be trousers I'm afraid but the rest of the week looks a little warmer and more sun, although the wind is picking up. Oh and no coming back early, the estate agents are still showing people around so we don't want you muddying the waters. I would like to add that I also visited last night! Not for the first time the taxi driver has been missed from your blog. In fact I may start up my own taxi drivers blog... and not mention you in it! Love Ben (favourite/only son in law)
31st July 2012

Catching up!
Hi It was great seeing you last night - you both looked amazingly well and sunburned although I have a feeling it may wash off when you have your first bath. Can we go for a drive/sail/motor next time?!
21st June 2013

Hey sailor, shiver me timbers or something like that
Sorry we have not managed to catch up things have been hectic with two new grandchildren babies arriving & our holiday which unfortunately conflicted with Rob's birthday bash. Will watch the blog & perhaps try & make G&T's on a sunshining evening this time somewhere along the way Love Jules

Tot: 0.609s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb