Chillaxing nicely


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 25th 2012
Published: July 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A bit to catch upon. No internet access for a couple of days...

Monday 23rd, Day 25,(designated Alcohol-Free Day), dawned with a cloudless blue sky that stayed with us all day. Now we’re talking; just what’s needed after such a dreary few weeks. I even went for an early morning run along the Caversham towpath, which was amazingly easy considering the lengthy period of inactivity aboard. Admittedly was a sweaty heap when I got back – quite a challenge in our not-so-spacious bathroom to freshen up!

Had to bale out before setting off, as Captain discovered a rather large quantity of water that had mysteriously gathered in the bilge (technical term for ‘bottom of the boat’). Could not decide where it had come from – rain getting in, hole in bottom (surely not because of my little accident), or leaking water tank????

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Wow, Captain has just caught a silver bream; had to stop blogging to admire.

Anyway, as luck would have it, we were about to pass our boatyard in Tilehurst, so stopped off to consult Spencer, who checked things out and said nothing to worry about – we’d been over-filling the water tanks. Easily rectified! It all made sense then, ‘cos we had commented on how long it took to fill these bottomless tanks… and that’s exactly what they are – we’d actually been filling the bottom of the boat aka bilge.

So, cruised along, in the what was by now blistering heat, through Mapledurham and Whitchurch Locks, through the Goring Gap which is BEAUTIFUL, to our resting place for the night… Goring. Managed to get a mooring along the towpath lust below the lock, and there we stayed, trying to get out of the sun… quite a turnaround from last week! Walked into Goring for supper and then back to bed – exhausted.

Today we’ve moved about 200 yards so far. It’s 3.30pm, and we left Goring this morning at 11. Just went through Goring Lock and then decided to moor up in the sun just below Cleeve Lock where we are as I blog. Well, why move? Weather so glorious, papers to read, book to finish, fishing to be done, blogging etc etc. What’s the hurry? Chillax! Not sure whether we’ll move on later… will let you know… zzzzzzzz

Continuing tonight Wed 25th...

Well yes, we did move on to Wallingford, moored up just past the lovely 17 arched bridge, erected our parasol on bank and had a glass of wine before wandering into the town for supper. A neighbouring boater gave us the code to the campsite showers on the other bank and we made use of them this morning - even more welcome now in this heat than before. Then into Wallingford for 'the best breakfast in the shires'... and so true - yummy!

Off by 11 and stopped in a field where we walked into the pretty village of Dorchester. By now 31' C, and we were melting. Just had to rest a while in The Fleur de Lys for a pint in the shade.

Then back across the cowfield and onwards to Abingdon. Longest day's travelling so far - 14 whole miles from Wallingford to Abingdon, with Didcot cooling towers visible at all times from all sides! The whole stretch from Goring to Wallingford is absolutely stunning... so wonderful to sit on the bow watching the green water glide slowly and peacefully past, trees overhanging the banks, with only the occasional squawk from a coot or duck as we disturb them. We've seen the brilliant flash of blue as kingfishers dart along, the graceful and still herons as they fish, families of swans going about their daily life, and lines of canada geese in single file drifting along.

Enough of that sentimental waffle...

Boat name of the day (very apt) is Ramblin' Rosie.

Fishing tally up to 15.

Knitting lines - loads

Advertisement



25th July 2012

Can't believe it!
Can't believe, on our way back from Essex today after visiting Malcolm's Mum we went the back way to avoid the snarled up M25 and M4 and went through Goring. We stopped to admire the view and wondered if you were anywhere nearby. We only missed you by a day!! What an absolutely beautiful part of the country - did you have a drink in The Swan? We are definitely going back there sometime soon. So glad you are now having some decent weather - you may come back with a tan instead of rust after all! Enjoy the final days of you trip. Love Charmaine x
25th July 2012

Lust
I thought Howard was into fishing not "...lust below the lock.....". Ali & Barry
28th July 2012

All aboard, GB sailing team in Weymouth go for golds
Hi Sis and Howard, just read your last two blogs. Now the weather is so nice rumour has it you are going to do another circuit. Have you ate any of Howard's catches? Just watching tjhe cycling road race and shouting on Mark Cavendish - could this be our first gold? Enjoy your last few days messing about on the river - are you looking forward to a deep, warm bath at home? Love Phil, Ange and girls xxxxx

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb