Lake kariba: Zimbabwe’s Hidden Safari Gem


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
January 6th 2024
Published: January 6th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Zimbabwe, a landlocked country, is officially known as the Republic of Zimbabwe and is located in Southern Africa. One of the main reasons for its popularity is its diverse ecosystem and wildlife which compels millions of tourists around the globe to visit Zimbabwe. It has dozens of places rich in greenlands, wildlife, mountains, waterfalls, lakes, and others.



Likewise, there are multiple places like Kariba Lake, Victoria Falls, Hwange National Park, Great Zimbabwe, etc., which are filled with wildlife. But Lake Kariba is acclaimed as Zimbabwe’s Hidden Safari Gem among thousands of safari enthusiasts due to its natural beauty, stunning sunset, water sports, and many more.

Overview of Lake Kariba

Kariba Lake, an artificial lake on this planet Earth, is a massive reservoir situated between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Calmly sunset views, boating options, attractive views, water sports, safari adventures, and unforgettable vacation adventures are the main reasons for its popularity among travel enthusiasts.



It covers an area of approximately 5580 km², and the Zambezi River, comes out from Zambia, irrigates it, and flows towards the Indian Ocean. Its length is 220 km and its width is 40 km and its surrounding area is teeming with wildlife animals. So, it provides a cool habitat for both flora and fauna.



It’s also known as a haven for wildlife animals, because its surrounding environment isn’t only relaxing for humans but also for fauna. Hippos and Nile Crocodiles are present in abundance in the water while its shores have giant elephants and leopards. Compared to Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park, it’s a less crowded place, but it’s the perfect place to get a memorable safari experience.



Apart from wildlife diversity, this lake provides some stunning safari experiences like houseboat cruises which help safari enthusiasts to capture beautiful scenes from the lake and its surroundings. In addition, boat fishing is also a great way to elevate your safari experience at Kariba Lake.

Factors That Makes Kariba Lake Zimbabwe’s Hidden Gem

Dam Creation & Hydroelectric Power

The beauty of this lake is due to theKariba Dam which was built in 1959 by skilled engineers. There were two purposes for building this dam: one was to control the water flow of the Zambezi River and the second was to use this water for the production of electricity.



Now, this dam is not only a good source of electricity for both Zambia and Zimbabwe but has also become a spectacular tourist place due to its green landscapes and diversity in wildlife. Therefore, most safari enthusiasts like to explore the ecosystem of Kariba Lake when they visit Zimbabwe.

Size and Islands

Kariba Lake covers approximately 5580 square kilometers and it’s the largest man-made artificial lake in the world. There are dozens of islands around this lake and all are famous due to their natural beauty.



All the islands have different ecosystems that provide various experiences to safari enthusiasts. Therefore, hundreds of tourists who are looking for a tranquil escape must visit this location for its calm environment.

Wildlife Wonders

AsLake Kariba is a huge water reservoir, it provides life to a large number of animals and plants due to water. Multiple varieties of crocodiles and hippos live in the water while elephants, lions, and others live near the shore of Lake Kariba.



Moreover, the landscape around the lake is alive, which makes the place attractive, and the rough hills around the lake also enhance its natural beauty. Due to this serene environment, all the animals interact with each other, making the scene attractive and capturing for safaris.

Tourism and Sunset Cruises

How amazing it would be to watch the sunset by sitting near the lake. Have you ever wondered, if not, by visiting Kariba Lake, you can enjoy such an experience you never had in your life. This ability of this lake plays a colossal role in attracting millions of tourists and safaris.



When the sun is about to set, it turns the blue sky into pink which creates an appealing scene that every safari wants to capture to enhance its experience. This is the main element which makes the lake a hidden safari gem of Zimbabwe.

Visitors Protection

The Kariba Lake and its surrounding islands are entirely protected to provide tourists a complete protection. They not only protect tourists but also protect animals from extinction. Therefore, no one feels hesitant to visit this lake for a safari experience with or without safari guides.

Final Words

Although places like Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are the most visited places for safari enthusiasts, Lake Kariba doesn't remain behind them. Most tourists visit only famous locations in Zimbabwe, they forget this beautiful place because of a lack of knowledge. Therefore, it’s considered as a hidden safari gem, having the attractive beauty of nature in it.



So, if you desire to explore a long-lasting safari experience, you must consider this lake in Zimbabwe when deciding on a safari trip. Its greenlands, rough mountains, waterfalls, diverse wildlife, and others will provide you with an amazing safari experience. In short, if you have any queries, contact us to book a trip.

FAQs
<ol style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; padding-inline-start: 48px;"><li style="list-style-type: decimal; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color:� background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre; margin-left: 18pt;" dir="ltr">
Can I swim in Lake Kariba?


No, it’s not a good idea to swim in the lake, because as we tell you there are a number of crocodiles and hippos, they can attack you.
<ol style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; padding-inline-start: 48px;" start="2"><li style="list-style-type: decimal; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color:� background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre; margin-left: 18pt;" dir="ltr">
Why is Kariba Lake famous?


Calmly sunset views, boating options, attractive views, water sports, safari adventures, and unforgettable vacation adventures are the main reasons for its popularity among travel enthusiasts.
<ol style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; padding-inline-start: 48px;" start="3"><li style="list-style-type: decimal; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color:� background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre; margin-left: 18pt;" dir="ltr">
How many crocodiles are in this lake?



There are approximately 10,000+ crocodiles in the lake, but you can visit the lake without any fear, because they provide complete protection to the tourists.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.655s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb