Day 23 - Bath to Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales
August 28th 2009
Published: August 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed west to Bath and Wales. We stopped along the way to visit Stonehenge. This ancient structure is now basically a lot of stones piled up in a field, but it is interesting to visit this place which has posed so many questions over the years as to how it was made and why.

We continued on to Bath with the weather turning wet and arrived after a short drive through the English countryside. This old town is becoming a tourist spot with tourist buses and groups going around everywhere. We visited the old Roman Baths which gives the town its name. These are fed by a hot spring and it was interesting to go through the ruins of the baths.

Following a walk through the town centre we visited Bath Abbey, which has some wonderful stained glass and also took in the view near a lovely park and canal.

We left being a little disappointed with Bath as with some of the other places we have visited as they have become all about the tour groups which come through in procession behind a flag carrying leader and basically clog up the place. :-)

We finally found the M4 with the SatNav having difficulty working out where we were due to the weather and crossed the bridge into Wales. After paying the toll for crossing the bridge we were definitely in a different country as all the road signs are now in English and Welsh, which is totally unpronounceable to anyone by the Welsh. :-)

We found our overnight hotel in Pontypool and went for a drive to explore the area a bit, finding a wharf and marina for canal boats in the middle of the forest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Marina in the Forest Marina in the Forest
Marina in the Forest

near Pontypool in Wales


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb