Weekend in Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Powys » Brecon
June 6th 2008
Published: June 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's Adam's birthday again - so that must mean it is time for another weekend in Wales!

This time we headed off for a canoe/walking adventure in the Brecon Beacon National Park.

Saturday was canoe day and we hired Canadian canoes (except for Pete, who was on the 'rescue' surf ski) and canoed from Wales back into England along the River Wye. The canoe adventure was a very sedate one (those of you that hear from Adam will know about his 'great UK search' for rapids) but very lovely. This also meant that we got to appreciate the fauna, including a number of ducklings and cygnets out for a swim with mum and dad.

We were well nourished during the 10 mile journey with ANZAC biscuits cooked by Sophie for morning tea, a delicious pub lunch and then an afternoon stop on a bridge pylon for birthday celebrations for the two birthday boys - Adam and Neil.

Vanessa, a relative newby to canoe travel, took to it like a natural, and no one fell in - not like some of the groups we observed, who seemed to capsize every 10 minutes (and I don't think on purpose - the water was cold!!!)

That evening we all met at the Red Lion for a birthday dinner, bought the pub out of lamb shanks, managed to fit in another cake and generally had a great time.

Sunday (obviously 'walk' day) we headed to Brecon Beacon national park for a 'ramble'. Fortunately the weather was perfect as the area is well known as an army training ground where troops routinely get lost on exercises. I understand that the fog becomes very thick and, if you lose the path, you could easily find yourself slipping down a very steep hillside. Apparently the weather can change rapidly, causing problems for walkers, but we did not face asuch issues.

Never ones to shirk a challenge, we climbed Pen y Fan - the highest peak in South Wales (at a massive 886 metres - they don't have much height here, but they still love to claim the title!). Still, I have no complaints, the walk was beautiful (if a little steep in places), and just right to round off the weekend.

In other highlights, the B&B I stayed at was right across the road from a 13th Century castle. Given
Canoes on calm watersCanoes on calm watersCanoes on calm waters

Loving that blue sky
I have a small castle obsession, this was obviously a perfect addition.

That is all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

100 year flood wall100 year flood wall
100 year flood wall

This one's for dad. This wall looks like it will cope with the 100 year flood.
ANZAC bikkie breakANZAC bikkie break
ANZAC bikkie break

Enjoying Sophie's ANZAC bikkies
Adam and Vanessa in actionAdam and Vanessa in action
Adam and Vanessa in action

Vanessa paddling like a pro
Happy Birthday!Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!

Birthday celebrations on the bridge pylon - with the world's smallest cake
WierWier
Wier

The only 'proper' rapid (if you can call it that)
End of the roadEnd of the road
End of the road

They did not warn us about the steep steps out
Tretower castleTretower castle
Tretower castle

The castle just outside our B&B
Dinner!Dinner!
Dinner!

Adam loves a lamb shank
Team AdamTeam Adam
Team Adam

A well earned rest
Onward and upwardOnward and upward
Onward and upward

The way ahead
Walking pathWalking path
Walking path

The way behind
Crags of Corn Du Crags of Corn Du
Crags of Corn Du

We came from that-a-way
Valley viewValley view
Valley view

We walked along that ridge on the way down


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 88; dbt: 0.1133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb