Walking to Tenby


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Pembrokeshire
November 27th 2012
Published: November 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

SaundersfootSaundersfootSaundersfoot

From our bedroom at daybreak
The night was stormy and we awoke with some apprehension about what the day would bring. It is Mary's birthday and we wanted to go for a walk along the cliffs.

Breakfast was excellent, although there was no-one else eating throughout our meal. The hotel seems very quiet...

Having agreed to meet up at 10:30, we we pleasantly surprised to be on the move by 11:00. The cliff walk to Tenby has stunning views. It also has stunning hills, some of which were eased by steps on the footpath. They were still steep, so we stopped frequently to admire the view and to catch our breath.

Eventually we caught sight of Tenby from the coastguard communications hut, the sunlight playing on its pastel-coloured higgledy-piggledy houses. Whilst this was a welcome sight, we could tell that there were still lots of ups and downs to negotiate before reached our destination.

After more steps, inclines and plenty of mud and leaves, we descended into Tenby past what appeared to be top-end holiday homes. With their white walls and the occasional yucca plant, we might as well have been on the Costa Blanca in winter! As it was, it seems the housing developer thought that the Welsh were unlikely to understand what a cul-de-sac is - see the sign.

The last few hundred yards into Tenby town centre gave us an opportunity to look at a number of really attractive properties and a number being refurbished. By this time, however, what we really wanted was a drink and lunch. A quick look around told us that there were a few places that might suit us, but only a couple where our vey muddy boots would be accepted. We chose the Bay Tree. Whilst the bar drinks (starring Worthington Creamflow) left much to be desired the food was good. A lager, a cider and a couple of bottles of Preseli Brewery's Old Mariners did the trick. Mussels, chowder and prawns were all good and kept us going for the rest off the afternoon.

Being Mary's birthday, and having left her birthday card at home, Barry more than compensated by pushing the boat out, not at a pound shop, but Tenby's very own (and famous, evidently) £1.20 shop!

A trip back to Saundersfoot on the 'bus concluded our trip and we then went to the spa and watched the full moon casting its light across the sea from the infinity pool. Luxury! Tonight we're going to Narberth for a meal to celebrate Mary's birthday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement




Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb