Britain's Smallest City


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Pembrokeshire » St Davids
June 29th 2018
Published: October 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Since Fiona was unable to get us more than one night at the Monk Haven Manor, she managed to get a couple of nights at Ty Boia B&B in St. Davids. St David's is about 24 miles north from where we've been staying. It is well known for being the UK's smallest city and It's still situated along the beautiful Pembrokeshire coast.

St David's is pretty with quaint streets bustled with cafes, restaurants, pubs, boutiques and art galleries. The reason this tiny borough is classed as a city and not a town is due to history. Back in the 16th century, a town with a cathedral was considered a city by the English Crown. The link was abolished in 1888, but Queen Elizabeth II granted St Davids city status again in 1994 in recognition of its heritage.

Having arrived in St David's early evening, after our long day exploring Skomer Island, we decide to take a stroll around the city and find a pub for dinner. We eat at The Bishops, a nice pub in the centre of St. Davids with outdoor seating area. The only problem eating outside is we have to constantly shoo away the seagulls. Very little is open so after dinner we head down to St. David's cathedral. A church was first built here from the 6th century and today stands the current cathedral, a place of Christian worship for 1500 years. It is one of the oldest episcopal sees in Britain. We enjoy watching the sun slowly set, as it peaks behind the cathedral. I suggest to Fiona that we should probably walk back to the B&B and take the car to a nearby beach to watch the sun go down. We drive to Whitesands Beach, an 8 minute drive from our B&B, and make it just in time to watch the last glimpse of the sunset.

Next day

We head into St. Davids to experience the city at its busiest. We had heard about this amazing ice cream parlour called Giannis Ice Cream and so we pay a visit. For an ice cream lover like myself, I am excited to see there are so many unusual flavours from the standard ones to choose from.

We carry on wondering around until we reach St. David's cathedral, this time its much busier than yesterday evening. As we walk around the cathedral we notice the backdoors are open and you can look in. There is a service going on, so we stop for a bit and listen and enjoy the hymns being sang.

Next to St. David's cathedral are the remains of St. Davids Bishop Palace, a 6th century building that was originally a monastery. It has a lot of history from attacks with Norse raiders to being taken over by the Normans. Despite all the history, its remains still stand with much of the wall intact, particularly the south side.

Having felt that we had explored enough of this small pretty city, we decide to drive back to Whitesands Beach. We enjoy some time chilling on the beach, whilst I sunbath for a bit. I feel reenergised and ready to do some more exploring and we notice we can access the Pembrokeshire Costal Path which is known for offering some of the most breath-taking scenery views in Britain. The Pembrokeshire Coastal Path trails around the coastline for 186 miles. Although our walk is probably no more than 2 miles of this stunning coastline, it did not disappoint and I can completely understand why hikers want to complete the 186 mile trip.

For dinner, we wanted fish and chips. We could have fish and chips in St. David's but there is something about having fish and chips by the sea and so we looked up to see if there was somewhere nearby. Fiona learns of a popular fish and chip restaurant and takeaway near the coast at Porthgain, some 8 miles away. We head to Porthgain Harbour and grab fish and chips at The Shed Bistro. We enjoy eating our fish and chips outside, whilst soaking in the beautiful harbour scenery. This small harbour was once used for exporting stone from a nearby quarry.

We also enjoy an alcoholic beverage at The Sloop Inn and sit outside, we enjoy listening to a Blackbird sat on the roof of the pub as it sings a beautiful tune knowing that the day is almost over. The scenic views are beautiful as the harbour is still nearby and visible.

As the sun starts to go down, we walk back to the harbour to watch. We watch a beautiful sunset go down past the hills of the harbour and slowly watch it disappear into the sea-level horizon. We romantically hold hands and enjoy each others company.

Next day

We were meant to be going on a boat trip to look for wildlife but unfortunately due to bad weather incoming from the Atlantic the excursion has been cancelled. We decide to head towards home with a stop off at Tenby. This little delightful harbour town is a very popular tourist attraction and I can see why. The houses are painted in many different vibrant colours as we walk down the streets. There are many shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs; including a lovely sandy beach and harbour. We enjoy looking around the town and have a cheeky ice cream whilst sat on the beach, luckily the rain is holding off but the sky is rather overcast. I guess the good weather couldn't keep on continuing and we got very lucky with our other days here.

Next stop; home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



23rd October 2021
St David's cathedral

What a beauty.
Spectacular St David's...great shot Alan. I have posted this in TB's 'Cathedrals, mosques, grand churches & places of worship' thread in the Photography Forum. Check it out.
25th October 2021
St David's cathedral

St. David's
Thank you, Dave. It is such a beauty indeed. I'm pleased to see it make Photography Forum :D
12th November 2021

Heritage Prevails
Good for St. David's becoming a city again. What a beautiful cathedral. If we get to this town we will definitely try that ice cream!
14th November 2021

St David's
I hope you guys are able to visit this beautiful small city someday and try out the ice cream :)
14th November 2021

Wales
This part of Wales looks really beautiful. I didn't know St Davids was Britain's smallest city. You caught some lovely sunsets with your camera Alan, and I think the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path would make an amazing hiking holiday.
14th November 2021

Pembrokeshire
Thanks for your comment. You'll love walking along the Pembrokeshire coastal path and hopefully you'll get to see a couple of beautiful sunsets

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb