Wales (aka Cymru)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
October 24th 2005
Published: October 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cardiff


Heya!

Wales this weekend was great - so glad we went. We got a bit lost & ended up on a tikki-tour when we first arrived in Cardiff. The weather had turned really terrible & there was driving rain & gale force winds, but we made it to the hotel safely. The hotel was up a bit of a hill, so we had a nice view of most of the city. The rooms had a lot of antique type furniture & was pretty much like you imagine an old mansion to be, although it was kind of like that scary mansion on that Stephen King movie, the Shining.

The next day was sunny & the view was really nice over the city, although there was a lot of early morning mist. The hotel had breakfast included so we ate all the bacon & then left to go & have a look around Cardiff in the car. The streets weren't set out in a straightforward manner so we parked the car near Cardiff Castle & went for a look around there. It was really excellent, atlhough much of the outer walls & the accommodation areas were surrouded in scaffolding for current maintenance.

We got some lunch in the city & went to have a look down at the Docklands kind of area before heading the short distance to Penarth, where Vaughan's Dad was born. We went down to the waterfront in Penarth which had a small pier, but it was a bit mudflatty. The township itself was pretty small but nice enough - the people were friendly too.

On the Sunday we headed over to a little town called Caerphilly. We wanted to go to the castle there, Caerphilly Castle, which was spectacular. Much larger than Cardiff Castle, but without any modern renovations, the whole thing was pretty much just stone outer, but it also has the largest moat in the United Kingdom. It even had a moat inside a moat, so there must have been about 4 drawbridges back in the day. Very impressive. The castle is more like it's in the middle of a lake. Around the lake are houses & shops, so it's kind of like the centre of town. It was a really nice place & the people in the town were awesome.

From there we headed out of Wales (back to England) & over to Avonmouth where my Dad has been a few times, then went over the hills into Bristol for some lunch. It was drizzling there so we didn't stay too long. Then we headed back into London, which took maybe 3 hours (we didn't get lost this time).

So that was our weekend - very fun & successful. And we even got a sunny day out of Cardiff - apparently a rarity. We were both really glad we went. The castles were definately worth it as well.

Catch you next time xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



26th October 2005

Great trip
I'm glad u had a good time in Wales, neat seeing shots of places Bill and I have been, makes me get itchy feet!!! Luv u
8th November 2005

wow!
looks incredible to see! I am so excited for you to be able to see all this historic places. And so excited I get to see photos lol!

Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb